Hen is sick with closed eyes, Help requested

Can you repost those new ones as an upload file directly to a reply window? I get a BYC error message trying to open those attachments.

She may have a recurring respiratory infection requiring another round of an antibiotic. Stress does that.

IMG_20191003_150644 - kopie.jpg
IMG_20191003_150652 - kopie.jpg
IMG_20191003_150624 - kopie.jpg

Thanks for reposting those. Yes, it appears dry pox could be taking advantage of her compromised immune system, as well as the respiratory illness returning for the same reason. I would do another round of the antibiotic.

Have you had any mosquitoes lately? There's also the chance the other chickens are pecking her comb.

Thanks for reposting those. Yes, it appears dry pox could be taking advantage of her compromised immune system, as well as the respiratory illness returning for the same reason. I would do another round of the antibiotic.

Have you had any mosquitoes lately? There's also the chance the other chickens are pecking her comb.
No mosquitoes, and she has been isolated for 3 weeks now.. I fear she won't survive but I'll try my best to save her

It appears to me from the puffy facial tissue your hen is suffering from a respiratory infection, probably Mycoplasma gallisepticum. You will need Tylan 50 to treat her.

Understand that this disease, also called CRD (Chronic Respiratory Disease) is symptom treatable, but not curable. *IF* this is CRD, the solution is to cull the entire flock, disinfect, and start over after a period of months.

I suggest you get a vet or a lab to do a culture swab to find out exactly what this is, or isn't.

TWG

You may want to try to squeeze any pus that is present around the eye. There is a video showing this —caution it is graphic— below, since it may help her eye area to decrease in size. What antibiotic did the vet prescribe? Tylosin and oxyteracycline are commonly used, and some vets will use Baytril (enrofloxacin) or tiamulin (Denagard.)

When chickens have a respiratory disease, they also may have a secondary disease such as aspergillosis from fungus. That is not usually treatable with common medicines. That could be a reason that she still seems and looks poorly. It is usually not something that can be confirmed until after death with a necropsy.

The skin around her eye and comb appear flaky, and that sometimes can be treated with an antifungal cream, such as miconazole or clotrimazole which are used to treat favus. There also look to be peck wounds on the comb.

Back
Top Bottom