Hen is sick

momma chickie

Songster
6 Years
May 6, 2016
I have a hen that is a little over 4 years old. Today we noticed she wasn't really interested in eating much...would take a few bites of her favorite food then mozie away. She spent time hiding in bushes today instead of our foraging. I checked her crop, lots of water (she was hanging around the dripping faucet that they all like)...concerned it was sour crop I did encourage her to throw up. There was her usual food, with lots of water. It didn't have smell. She did poop (so it isn't egg bound) but it was a bit runny with a mucous apearance. She pooped again and it was watery but with some firm green pieces in it (not too unusual there). I gave her a dropper that I had put a bit of apple cider vinegar, electrolytes and probiotic with a little water. Gave a few droppers full.

Not sure if she was just starting sour crop or if there is something else going on. Everyone else seems to be fine. I am bringing her in tonight to sleep in a crate with a heating pad in it...maybe put some of the chick probiotic grit in there for her to pick at. I am leaving the water out so she doesn't just fill up on water like she seemed to be doing.

Any ideas what may be going on...anything more I should try?

Water should not be removed. If she is having s crop slowdown, water is very important to help the crop work, and to keep her from getting dehydrated. At her age it could be that she is having a reproductive disorder. Salpingitis, egg yolk peritonitis, cancer, and ascites are common. That can lead ro slow moving crop. Has she laid eggs recently?

Water should not be removed. If she is having s crop slowdown, water is very important to help the crop work, and to keep her from getting dehydrated. At her age it could be that she is having a reproductive disorder. Salpingitis, egg yolk peritonitis, cancer, and ascites are common. That can lead ro slow moving crop. Has she laid eggs recently?
Yes...maybe yesterday or day before...she doesn't lay everyday...usually 3 eggs, give or take, a week. She is an Amaraucana do not a high volume layer.

This is what her poop is looking like...there was a few more like it around the yard. When I went to get her tonight she was not perched, she was in the nest box sleeping...my hens never sleep in the nest box.
I had the heating pad in the crate, she was gaping so I removed the heat. Since she will be sleeping I didn't leave food or water. I get up early and let her out in the yard...I will dose her with a few droppers of vinegar, probiotics and electrolytes through out the day.
Should I give her baking soda water (not with vinegar)...
Her crop was not overly full...could feel some seeds floating around...
I just hate seeing my babies suffer...I lost a hen to egg binding last year. So heart breaking.

Attachments

• 20200630_195236.jpg
    20200630_195236.jpg
    550.5 KB · Views: 5
She is still pooping. She ate yogurt with coconut oil and drank garlic water...I am not leaving the water in with her cause her crop is still pretty sloshy and I am cincerned she could over do it on water.

She seems more alert today...moves around in the kennel, stretches her legs and wings, and gives herself a wild shake...she also comes to the door to eat now too.

I am going to keep offering garlic water, coconut oil and plain yogurt until I see her crop empty in the morning...then I will start her on scrambled eggs...

I did make her throw up yesterday and this morning but I dont want to do that anymore, it really stresses her out and I read they can aspirate it.

Anything else I should be Doing?

There are no vets that treat chickens...and pretty certain it isn't worms.
I read the article...I am struggling with whether I can get her to eat the vaginal stuff....
and since my husband and I are high risk we can't go to the drug store.
Has anyone here used the vaginally medical and did your chickens eat it willingly?

You could technically also look at her temperature and also look for pupil dilation.

(I am not very well versed in how reliable pupil dilation works in poultry. But these are often used as indicators in various things with vet work. Taking temperature with mammals is done with sticking thermometer up the ass. But with poultry that could cause problems, it would have to be done elsewhere, and good looking getting them to stand still while you do it.)

You could technically also look at her temperature and also look for pupil dilation.

(I am not very well versed in how reliable pupil dilation works in poultry. But these are often used as indicators in various things with vet work. Taking temperature with mammals is done with sticking thermometer up the ass. But with poultry that could cause problems, it would have to be done elsewhere, and good looking getting them to stand still while you do it.)
Her pupil dilation seems normal...and I got lost on taking her temperature...how do you take a chickens temp if not up the butt? Hold it under her wing?

Her pupil dilation seems normal...and I got lost on taking her temperature...how do you take a chickens temp if not up the butt? Hold it under her wing?

I'm guessing the armpit is the only way.

And people did used to use armpits for children a few years ago. And they can be real pekkers too sometimes. Shrug.

Back
Top Bottom