Hen is sick

This morning she is much perking. Her crop still has stuff in it but not as much as when she went to bed with last night. Infact when she went down last night her crop was visibly noticeable and this morning it wasn't...although definitely not empty. She had 2 poops in the kennel, bery green...but at least she is moving stuff out.

I gave her more yogurt, garlic and coconut oil this morning. She was pacing the door for more and even made a soft begging sound that she us known for so I scrambled an egg. I let her have half. She would have eaten more but I don't want to overfill her.

I am confused on the vaginal creams ...there is 1, 3, 7 day treatments...I know the link above says treat for 7 days but is that the case with these newer faster acting creams too?

I'm guessing the armpit is the only way.

And people did used to use armpits for children a few years ago. And they can be real pekkers too sometimes. Shrug.
I was watching the Incredible Dr Pol and he does chicken Temps rectally...I think I will pass on temperature since she is perking up again.

There are no vets that treat chickens...and pretty certain it isn't worms.
I read the article...I am struggling with whether I can get her to eat the vaginal stuff....
and since my husband and I are high risk we can't go to the drug store.
Has anyone here used the vaginally medical and did your chickens eat it willingly?
This morning she is much perking. Her crop still has stuff in it but not as much as when she
I gave her more yogurt, garlic and coconut oil this morning. She was pacing the door for more and even made a soft begging sound that she us known for so I scrambled an egg. I let her have half. She would have eaten more but I don't want to overfill her.

I am confused on the vaginal creams ...there is 1, 3, 7 day treatments...I know the link above says treat for 7 days but is that the case with these newer faster acting creams too?
It's good that it's emptying more, I would continue giving her 1 tsp of coconut oil once a day.

"Soft" food(s) are fine to give in moderation - the egg is good, you can also soak a little of her normal feed and give that to her - mine like their wet about the consistency of "soupy" oatmeal. See that she's drinking too.

Yes, I have given anti-fungal/yeast cream to mine before. I just get tubes of generic Miconazole or Clotrimazole - whichever I can get and that is cheaper. Having some 1ml syringes work very well, just stick the end of the syringe (without the needle) into the "hole" in the top of the tube and draw out the amount of cream you need. I definitely would give 2X a day for 7 days. Even if she's "better" you want to give the full course of treatment.

I completely understand the difficulty of getting supplies at this time. I pulled a couple of links off amazon for you so you can see the wording of the products you can use. I've found similar on WalMart.com Not sure if you use delivery or if it's available to you - but I use 2 day delivery from WalMart often - shipping is free with orders over $35 so I usually wait until I need a few things and just have items delivered (doesn't take many items nowaday to get to $35!). My WalMart also offers free pickup in store - you make your order and pay online then you go pickup curbside.
Another option is using InstaCart - depends on your area - we can get items from a few different grocery and drug stores delivered right to the door.
Just some thoughts.

I hope she gets better - please keep us posted.

https://www.amazon.com/Miconazole-Nitrate-Antifungal-Cream/dp/B06Y5TLXG4/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1KN3SFVESYAN6&dchild=1&keywords=miconazole+cream&qid=1593736758&sprefix=micon,aps,296&sr=8-6

https://www.amazon.com/Clotrimazole...ords=clotrimazole+cream&qid=1593736777&sr=8-7

The crop isn't sloshy this morning but she definitely still has food, feels a little firmer than a kids squish ball (if you know what that is). I am wondering if I should do Dulcolax as was discribed in another link on treating crop issues. Anyone have experience with that? I didn't do as much garlic yesterday cause I didn't want to over do it (I got sick from too much garlic before, and that is not pleasant at all either).
I had some chick grit with probiotic in it and put a little in with her...I think she may have picked at it a bit.
I will get the miconazole...someone said they have used the suppository type and cut them into pieces...wondering if that might be easier as she won't let me syringe her anymore (was doing that at first to get water in her because she would not drink or eat. I am thinking if I mix it with yogurt she would take it.
She had 3 poops this morning, that was from overnight as I clean her kennel throughout the day and just before I go to bed to be sure she isn't sitting in it.

So going back...anyone use Dulcolax and crop massage to get the crop to empty?

It's good that it's emptying more, I would continue giving her 1 tsp of coconut oil once a day.

"Soft" food(s) are fine to give in moderation - the egg is good, you can also soak a little of her normal feed and give that to her - mine like their wet about the consistency of "soupy" oatmeal. See that she's drinking too.

Yes, I have given anti-fungal/yeast cream to mine before. I just get tubes of generic Miconazole or Clotrimazole - whichever I can get and that is cheaper. Having some 1ml syringes work very well, just stick the end of the syringe (without the needle) into the "hole" in the top of the tube and draw out the amount of cream you need. I definitely would give 2X a day for 7 days. Even if she's "better" you want to give the full course of treatment.

I completely understand the difficulty of getting supplies at this time. I pulled a couple of links off amazon for you so you can see the wording of the products you can use. I've found similar on WalMart.com Not sure if you use delivery or if it's available to you - but I use 2 day delivery from WalMart often - shipping is free with orders over $35 so I usually wait until I need a few things and just have items delivered (doesn't take many items nowaday to get to $35!). My WalMart also offers free pickup in store - you make your order and pay online then you go pickup curbside.
Another option is using InstaCart - depends on your area - we can get items from a few different grocery and drug stores delivered right to the door.
Just some thoughts.

I hope she gets better - please keep us posted.

https://www.amazon.com/Miconazole-Nitrate-Antifungal-Cream/dp/B06Y5TLXG4/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1KN3SFVESYAN6&dchild=1&keywords=miconazole+cream&qid=1593736758&sprefix=micon,aps,296&sr=8-6

https://www.amazon.com/Clotrimazole...ords=clotrimazole+cream&qid=1593736777&sr=8-7
Thank you for the links...yes I have instacart and we have curbside pick up at Target and Walmart....I will check it out.

The crop isn't sloshy this morning but she definitely still has food, feels a little firmer than a kids squish ball (if you know what that is). I am wondering if I should do Dulcolax as was discribed in another link on treating crop issues. Anyone have experience with that? I didn't do as much garlic yesterday cause I didn't want to over do it (I got sick from too much garlic before, and that is not pleasant at all either).
I had some chick grit with probiotic in it and put a little in with her...I think she may have picked at it a bit.
I will get the miconazole...someone said they have used the suppository type and cut them into pieces...wondering if that might be easier as she won't let me syringe her anymore (was doing that at first to get water in her because she would not drink or eat. I am thinking if I mix it with yogurt she would take it.
She had 3 poops this morning, that was from overnight as I clean her kennel throughout the day and just before I go to bed to be sure she isn't sitting in it.

Actually I've heard of people treating infections in poultry with diaetenaceous earth also.

But you would have to be precise on how much, and I'm not sure what that amount would be. I think its also used as a de-wormer, plus getting rid of parasites.

The author of the article you are following has use Stool Softener and I have as well. It can help break up impacted material. Often I've found the crop is turning a bit sour too, so if the lump is still there after a few days, I also treat with an anti-fungal/yeast medication.
As for suppository vs. cream - same ingredient, just different form that it comes in.

Actually I've heard of people treating infections in poultry with diaetenaceous earth also.

But you would have to be precise on how much, and I'm not sure what that amount would be. I think its also used as a de-wormer, plus getting rid of parasites.
DE is not a de-wormer nor does it have curative or healing properties for infection or poultry diseases.

Care to share some links?

The author of the article you are following has use Stool Softener and I have as well. It can help break up impacted material. Often I've found the crop is turning a bit sour too, so if the lump is still there after a few days, I also treat with an anti-fungal/yeast medication.
As for suppository vs. cream - same ingredient, just different form that it comes in.

DE is not a de-wormer nor does it have curative or healing properties for infection or poultry diseases.

Care to share some links?
Any stool softener? I am seeing mostly pills...any recomendation?

Colase or generic doccusate sodium is a common stool softener. Many also use coconut oil, chilled and cut into small pieces to peck. Aim for 1 tsp as a dose. They tend to get filled up on that or a little less.

Back
Top Bottom