Hen is sick

So you would add material like that to an already congested/stopped up crop that you are trying to clear?
Just an idea for an easy/natural/available stool softener that could be purchased from any grocery store with instacart for someone who said they are high risk and have to stay home. It may not be the right solution, I’m sorry if that was bad advice. Just seems like in a situation where you couldn’t go out to get any needed materials you may want to have options that are easily available.

So I dosed her with red wine 3 times yesterday, continued the yogurt, egg, and garlic. Added one drop of iodine to her water (it is the kind that I take in water so it is for internal use and is anti microbial) may not have been really enough to do anything but I figured it wouldn't hurt.
This morning, I could barely feel anything in her crop!!! I gave her a 4 more droppers of red wine (she will tolerate me giving her that much, any more and she gets fussy) and I will wait a little bit to give her eggs and yogurt this morning.
I think the scripture at 1 Tim 5:23 that was advising Timothy to take a little wine for his stomach has a ring a truth to it.
My new suggestion for a chicken with sour crop is going to be red wine, garlic, yogurt...and feed eggs to keep her going.r
Reading where?
I searched sour crop treatments and found a few that used red wine. One the gal had tried other recommendations and her hen died so when another hen got it, she took a more natural approach and used red wine, followed with yogurt and scrambled egg...others said garlic helped...I kind of went with what gave me results...I had some results with yogurt, coconut oil and garlic water...but it stalled. Once I gave red wine there was quick improvement...after just a few treatments the crop was emptying...and she was hungry.
Today we graduated to some chick food with oatmeal...still doing red wine, 4 mil 3 times a day.

So I dosed her with red wine 3 times yesterday, continued the yogurt, egg, and garlic. Added one drop of iodine to her water (it is the kind that I take in water so it is for internal use and is anti microbial) may not have been really enough to do anything but I figured it wouldn't hurt.
This morning, I could barely feel anything in her crop!!! I gave her a 4 more droppers of red wine (she will tolerate me giving her that much, any more and she gets fussy) and I will wait a little bit to give her eggs and yogurt this morning.
I think the scripture at 1 Tim 5:23 that was advising Timothy to take a little wine for his stomach has a ring a truth to it.
My new suggestion for a chicken with sour crop is going to be red wine, garlic, yogurt...and feed eggs to keep her going.r

I searched sour crop treatments and found a few that used red wine. One the gal had tried other recommendations and her hen died so when another hen got it, she took a more natural approach and used red wine, followed with yogurt and scrambled egg...others said garlic helped...I kind of went with what gave me results...I had some results with yogurt, coconut oil and garlic water...but it stalled. Once I gave red wine there was quick improvement...after just a few treatments the crop was emptying...and she was hungry.
Today we graduated to some chick food with oatmeal...still doing red wine, 4 mil 3 times a day.
Looks like you’ve found a treatment that is working and I’m so glad she’s improving!

Be really careful with the wine, it may help relax the bird and can also be a diuretic, but has a high sugar content and will also definitely cause inflammation, which is not helpful for any health condition.
I am n only giving 4 mils 3 X a day less than .14 of an ounce. I give her water through out the day but wasn't leaving it in her crate cause she would dump it over, plus yogurt. Dry red wine has 4 carbs per 5 ounces so she is getting less than .11 of a carb...you must drink.sweet reds, yes they would have more sugar.
All I know is she is doing much better right now, so I will keep doing what works.

Last edited:
For stool softeners you could also offer pumpkin, pears or even a little prune juice. Just also making sure to provide lots of water with these
With sour crop you want avoid anything sweet...only protein and fat...otherwise you feed the candida (yeast infection).
Those are definitely good for constipated humans though😄

Just an idea for an easy/natural/available stool softener that could be purchased from any grocery store with instacart for someone who said they are high risk and have to stay home. It may not be the right solution, I’m sorry if that was bad advice. Just seems like in a situation where you couldn’t go out to get any needed materials you may want to have options that are easily available.
No worries, the purpose of the stool softener in treating crop issues is to help break down material that might be bogging the system down. So really not looking for a laxative effect, though that may be needed at some point if things still aren't "moving". Molasses mixed with water is a very effective "mover" in chickens, but you would only want to do that once, place the bird where you don't mind a mess and be prepared to clean up. ;)
I wonder if prune juice would have the same affect? Not sure, it's a thought though.

ehh...you can order just about anything you wish through instacart - it all depends on the stores that are on board where a person lives. Here, I think I have about 8-9 different stores that I can have shopped. All but 1 grocery store has full service pharmacy.

@momma chickie Using wine for treatment of crop issues has been a remedy for many years. I'm glad you found the information and that your hen is feeling better!

Last edited:
Is there much of a difference?

And does that mean there's much difference between food grade hydrated lime and normal hydrated lime? (Or unrelated?)
The biggest difference in DE is how it is processed. Food grade DE is going to be pure where a garden/pool grade could possibly contain insecticides or other chemicals. For human and animal use (personally, I prefer it in the garden as well) I only use food grade.
From my understanding lime has become somewhat of a general term and the substance itself can vary greatly from company to company. At this point I have only used it to cover pigs runs after I have rotated them out. I have been doing some research for use with poultry and have found the only lime I would consider for my chickens at this point is First Saturday as a natural pesticide, but I definitely need more information before I can know for sure. Pure lime is considered to have low toxicity as it is only crushed limestone. The health hazards would be associated with acute respiratory and skin irritation when handled, but not considered to be toxic. That changes from each manufacturer depending on what they add to/how they process it. I have listed some informative websites for more information and each manufacturing company can be researched by searching “material safety data sheet - OSHA - (company name)”.

https://www.lime.org/about-us/faqs/
https://firstsaturdaylime.com/?gcli...a-I6eUkRhk6-S1K-_0ZqIMs4jvKjpugYaAoijEALw_wcB

Back
Top Bottom