Hen is sitting on a nest outside of the coop

Emma-lee

In the Brooder
Mar 3, 2018
4 days ago we had a hen go missing, she escapes the run often but usually stays on the property and comes when called, she wasn't coming when called. We assumed she was killed by a wild animal but as it turns out she had found a secluded spot close enough to the coop to run over to get food and water and return to her nest in under five minutes (as we witnessed today when we still thought she was dead) I followed her back to the nest didnt see how many eggs but she did find somewhere that was weather protected. I'm happy shes still alive but why would she go out of her way to hatch? Is it because of the other hens (we have 11 others and one roo) or maybe the food and water being too close? The coop is predator proof and there is no ant or mouse problem.

Hens choose an area that is private and safe. The hen I thought the fox had gotten hid her nest in the wild rose bush. We didn't even know she was brooding until she presented us with 10 chicks. We'd sent the people aggressive rooster to freezer camp 5 weeks before the chicks hatched. She and her family were herded into the screen porch for safety. However, within 3 weeks she had her chicks fully integrated into the flock and sleeping on the roost in the coop. She also put the fear of God into the kittens. Even now as grown cats they don't dare even look at a chick.

Hens choose an area that is private and safe. The hen I thought the fox had gotten hid her nest in the wild rose bush. We didn't even know she was brooding until she presented us with 10 chicks. We'd sent the people aggressive rooster to freezer camp 5 weeks before the chicks hatched. She and her family were herded into the screen porch for safety. However, within 3 weeks she had her chicks fully integrated into the flock and sleeping on the roost in the coop. She also put the fear of God into the kittens. Even now as grown cats they don't dare even look at a chick.
LOL!!!!! i LOVE Momma hens.... no messin around with her chicks. LOL:gig:lau:love;):yuckyuck

4 days ago we had a hen go missing, she escapes the run often but usually stays on the property and comes when called, she wasn't coming when called. We assumed she was killed by a wild animal but as it turns out she had found a secluded spot close enough to the coop to run over to get food and water and return to her nest in under five minutes (as we witnessed today when we still thought she was dead) I followed her back to the nest didnt see how many eggs but she did find somewhere that was weather protected. I'm happy shes still alive but why would she go out of her way to hatch? Is it because of the other hens (we have 11 others and one roo) or maybe the food and water being too close? The coop is predator proof and there is no ant or mouse problem.

My coop and pen are totally enclosed and as close to being varmint proof as you can get if there is such a thing. LOL. I have two Silkie hens sharing a nest underneath the nest bosex. Its a 3 nest metal unit. I just happened to notice one of them going under it. LOL.

Back
Top Bottom