Hen is so attached to me…..

princesspoppy808

Hatching
Aug 3, 2021
Hi everyone! I need help getting my chicken to be a chicken and join a coop. I found her when she was just a few days old all alone in my working parking lot. I walked around to find her mama but there were no chickens around so I ended up taking her home and raising her. Fast forward 3 months, she has been a house “pet” ever since. She goes outdoors with my dog daily for playtime but other then that she is just inside free roaming with us. She follows me everywhere, literally every where I go.
When she cant see me she will freak out and make distressed calls. I did not intend to keep her but when we tried to introduce her to our friends coop (just 2 hens) she started to freak out pacing and making that distressed loud chirping. The hens immediately started beating her up as soon as she started with those noises. We took her back and tried 2 more times when she was a little bigger but the same thing happened. What can I do to get her use to other hens and just be a chicken?

This is “Nugget”
image.jpg

when we tried to introduce her to our friends coop (just 2 hens) she started to freak out pacing and making that distressed loud chirping. The hens immediately started beating her up as soon as she started with those noises.
Do you have any other chickens...or is this someone else's coop and 2 hens?
You can't just put a bird in with other birds without some kind of introduction period.

This might help:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/introducing-a-single-hen-to-an-existing-flock.71997/

As might this:
Integration Basics:
It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better.
Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.
Good ideas for hiding places:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

Thank you for the info.
Yes, she is the only chicken, we have a dog and they get along well. Its a friends coop we tried to add her to. We tried a few times with the same outcome. As soon as she starts crying out for me she gets attacked. They pin her down and go to town pecking her. I will try putting her next to them in a separate enclosure several times and see if that helps the introduction.

Back
Top Bottom