Hen jumping on my back. Is this normal?

When one of my hens jump on the back of another, which is rarely, they will also pull at their head because it's for dominance and flock order. When my youngest pullet has jumped on my back, she just wants me to hold her. She is lowest in the flock. She doesn't bite me like they would for a show of dominance. Again, every one is different as far as what is acceptable and what they dislike with behaviors from their flock.
Well said.

My thinking, strictly as an amateur observer of bird behavior: do birds (hens) jump on each other, and if so, in what context/ circumstances? Do they do it to show affection, or to show dominance? In my observation, dominant hens do it, not submissive ones, and they do it to show dominance, not affection. When one bird gets jumped on, she shrieks, ducks and tries to escape, complaining and objecting loudly. So I don't think I would encourage it. But that's just my opinion.
It's never seemed like a dominant thing. She just does it and sometimes sits down there. I think she just likes it. (i only let her do it if i wear a hoodie also)

My girls look at me and see food. Lol I am the one who feeds them and brings treats. If they jump on me it's to get to the treats faster. I have a table in their run and they usually jump on the table to get closer to me. Then sometimes they jump on my shoulder. It never scares me and I've never gave it a thought about dominance.

Attachments

• PXL_20211009_191014020.jpg
    PXL_20211009_191014020.jpg
    442.6 KB · Views: 4
My girls look at me and see food. Lol I am the one who feeds them and brings treats. If they jump on me it's to get to the treats faster. I have a table in their run and they usually jump on the table to get closer to me. Then sometimes they jump on my shoulder. It never scares me and I've never gave it a thought about dominance.
That is a beautiful bird, what is she?

I'd like my girls to jump up in my lap, but that very rarely happens. On my back, well, not so much. On my shoulder would make me nervous, because even though I wear glasses, I don't want them that close to my face or eyes.

I'd like my girls to jump up in my lap, but that very rarely happens. On my back, well, not so much. On my shoulder would make me nervous, because even though I wear glasses, I don't want them that close to my face or eyes.
Mine has only jumped on my back when I was bent down (scooping da poop). It would be really weird if they just jumped on your back like a crazy bird. 🤣

Alfred Hitchcock Movies Of 2013 GIF

Back
Top Bottom