Hen just started to lay -- feel funny eating the eggs.

Strangely (or is it not strange?), I have no issue eating the eggs. This may be because I got chickens for that single purpose. If they're not laying eggs, they're not doing their job.

But don't get me wrong. I've been a bird guy since I was a kid. They're fascinating creatures, and I love watching any type of bird do its thing, and chickens are no exception. So I spend plenty of time watching them hang out, I give them great treats, keep their water and food fresh, and have given them as much run of the yard as I can fence in. But for some reason, these chickens are first and foremost workers in my minds--not pets.

And as Robert Frost said, "And that has made all the difference."

I cooked the yolk, and it was DELICIOUS. Honestly, I'm over my squeemies. After my fresh egg/store egg comparison, in which the store egg tasted like rubber, I was pretty much over it.
I decided to visit the chickens every 30 minutes today to see who's laying these beautiful eggs. And I was successful! She's a Golden Comet. Her name is Ophelia, and I've included a picture of her.
love.gif

And I videotaped her laying the egg! It was so amazing. Her same-breed "sister chicken" actually hung right by her side for nearly the entire process. Ophelia squawked all the others away until only their heads were hanging in the peep door. I'm sure my presence for the event created more excitement than usual.
Weird as it may seem, it helped me to see which chicken it came from, rather than just walking in and finding a mystery egg. I'm a first-timer, so this is still very exciting for me.
ya.gif

89827_ophelialayer.jpg

Back
Top Bottom