Hen keeps falling over

Last night I felt really hopeful because Rita was looking much healthier and eating and drinking well. She actually stood up and was looking around and chirping lots. Today I took her out onto the grass with the rest of the hens and they were really friendly as long as she stayed still! They seemed to panic and peck her when she fell over.

You pointed out that her legs looked different sizes so I've looked closely and tested strength, sensitivity etc. I think there is something wrong and one leg is slightly thinner and weaker. When I picked up the other same aged hen and put my finger under her foot she grasped tightly, Rita didn't - I think that she may have partial paralysis in one , maybe both legs.

When she stands she falls because she isn't able to move her feet forward. I watched when she fell and she scrambles about unable to use her feet to push herself back up. She seems to have sensitivity in her legs and part of the foot but not in the toes. What do you think? The 1st pic was taken a week before she got ill - she looked really strong. The 2nd was today.

Sure sounds like you're runnin' out of options, and that she may be runnin' out of time ... ruling out those diseases for which there is no effective treatment/cure leaves you w/ a shorter list of possibilities, for which you can simultaneously treat. May not help, but under her circumstances? It most probably won't hurt.

I would start by first flushing her system w/ a laxative, since she appears otherwise of good strength. The quickest/best way, being that she may not be drinking/eating at normal levels, would be to do only one of the following two choices:

Either:
Dissolve 1 teaspoon of Epsom Salt in 1 Ounce of water, placing the mixture directly in her crop.
OR ...
Give her 0.5 Ounce (that's 1/2 OZ) of Caster Oil in the same manner.

Glutathione is one superb antioxidant that detoxidifies the body and boosts the immune system, and it's production within our bodies can be dramatically increased by eating sulpher-rich foods (she can safely enjoy cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, collards, cabbage, cauliflower, kale or watercress) and Activated Whey Protien (non-pasturized).

In the event of Aspergillus, I've seen a government study that suggests the uses of "activated charcoal*, reduced glutathione, cysteine, selenium (as sodium selenite), beta-carotene, and fisetin."

*anything that directly adsorbs toxins would most likely reduce available vitamins as well.

Vitamin E was suggested by others, in the event of Wry Neck, and I use Apple Cider Vinegar to both prevent Botulism from reaching levels that may result in toxins (and for a bunch of other good reasons) but suggest Vitamin C in the event that she suffers from having produced within, or otherwise injested, these toxins:

In the case of U.S.P. citric acid, anhydrous 100%, drugs.com suggests a stock solution be mixed daily, which is then diluted further ... 7-14 oz./gal. as the stock solution, diluted then to 1 fluid ounce per gallon. Obviously, far more than you would need. But, 1-2 teaspoons per gallon is what I've seen elsewhere. If individually dosed, be certain to double-check the math.

With all the considerations of vitamins/minerals, I would prefer finding something intended as a short-term medical or post-illness treatment, rather than anything that suggests it may be used as a feeding supplement for flock management.

I know that's a lot of information, and that I'm all over the map here. But, again? This covers those remaining causes for which there is a treatment, and basically ignores those causes for which there isn't ... it's the approach I take, as (to me) it's the only one that make sense. And, should it fail? She most probably wasn't gonna get better anyhow (still hopin' she does ~'-)
Thread update - November 6th 2012
This is to let all those kind people out there who helped me and Rita during a really stressful time when she was so ill, what has happened since.I have to tell you that so far the story has a happy ending.

After my last post on here she really started to perk up and was less happy to be picked up so I took her back outside with the flock during the day. She still kept falling over so I modified the floor in the main run to the coop and lowered the steps up to the roost. The first night I helped her up into the roost - she has always chosen to sleep on the floor and not perch so I knew she would be able to settle. The next morning Rita came out last, came down each step carefully and did not fall - I was amazed! She still had a dreadful limp but slowly, over the next few days she got stronger and stronger and the other hens kept coming back to keep her company. Then I noticed she was keeping up with the rest and even running over to me when I went out.

Now, you would never guess that she had been ill at all! I can't explain it and I still don't know what she had but it is lovely to see her looking so happy and healthy again.
So thank you for all the advice and support I am really grateful and I hope I can help someone another time.
thumbsup.gif

Now, that's a good thing to hear (was already bracing myself for yet another *un*happy ending ~'-)

The astringent solution (acv in the water) couldn't cost more than a few bucks per month, even w/ larger flocks, so I'll keep that up ... well ... for pretty much as long as I have any flocks. I do, personally, phase it in and out w/ my own, changing the amount by about a teaspoon each time I fill 'em up.

Also, if nobody's molting, I'd consider worming all w/ fenbendazole, as it's proven to be both highly effective, and safe up to 100 times the normal dosage.

Keep those links handy, 'n look me up anytime I can be of any help ~'-)

Hi Guys,
After reading this story, i think my hen has this wry neck problem. I noticed it about a week ago she had her neck tucked in and was more quiet than usual. I thought she was starting to molt maybe. Ive been watching her, and after reading this I do believe it is wry neck. Today she was in coop falling over as she walked and would a flip a wing our for balance. All the others seem fine. She is one of the twins I call them lollita and perdita. So I will try the vitamin E remedy and see how she does. So far the others dont bother her but will seperate her if they do, it also appears she is molting as her backside is bare.She is about a year and half old.Any suggestions are welcome, i will check back.
Thanks

Last night we separated her after the rooster had his way with her and she rolled over and just laid there. We gave a vitamin E softgel 400 IU and 3 dropperfuls of water and set her on a hay pile to rest. I had the thought that maybe the hay needed to be tossed out. we keep a bale of hay just for nesting material and it is getting old. we use pine shaving for the floor, it is a walk in coop so we can go right in there and it is kept clean. So I will update later.

Last edited:
We have cleaned out the coop and started the vitamin E treatment. feeding her 3 dropperfuls of water to make sure she is getting water. This morning I went out and she wasnt getting up for her morning treat. She just lay there, I tried picking her up and she tried to flop around. her legs appear paralized. I put a bowl of plain yogurt beside her and she ate some. I brought her to outside pen and she started shivering. I think Im going to lose her.I have never had to kill a chicken before but I think I might have to, it is is so sad to watch her like this.well thanks for listening.It was cold last night so maybe it wore her out.
th.gif

I have a guinea with the symptoms you were talking about in this post. I will look it up. If you have any suggestions, I would love the help.

How did she get better though? Just multivitamins? My hen is similar except her issue is her butt keeps going up in the air higher and higher and she falls over. Plus she didn't molt so I am wondering if it isn't Mareks?

Follow up --I just had a realization that maybe the canned cat food I was feeding her for extra protein, while worming her, might have had botulism and read to give her vinegar in her water. I am doing that first thing this am! I also got the low dose Bayer aspirin and fish oil however, and put it on her bread soaked in pedialyte last night. I will keep people posted for future reference. FIrst the poor girl obviously had wry neck (probably from malnourishment from the worms the vet said she had). I treated her for that for two days while waiting for lab results of her poop. Her neck got much stronger and she was able to lift it halfway and eat and stand on her own. Then I had to worm her and was also told she had coccidosis and to give her canned cat food, beef, while she was on the medication for those two things to keep her strength up. I had left the can out (not in the fridge), and wondered this morning (lightbulb) if she got botulism because she got worse after doing so much better (but I did stop the vitamin E after five days when she seemed better and that could also be the culprit). So I am adding the vinegar to her water and continuing with the fish oil and vitamin E with selenium now. This is what I read regarding the vinegar:
Vinegar should be added to the water, at a rate of 1-2 tablespoons per gallon (the goal is to reach a pH of 5.5 or so), for all of your poultry, without any supplements/nutrients/vitamins/etc. for now ... those may compound the problem, or be the cause, and the vinegar is the one thing that's proven most effective when botulism reaches toxic levels (and, can do no harm, at all ~'-)
So I did the math and came up with this:
1 gallon is 4 quarts so divide 1-2 tablespoons by 4 to get per quart formula;
How do you divide a tablespoon into four?
A tablespoon is equal to 3 teaspoons. 3 teaspoons are equal to 12 - 1/4 teaspoons. Divide 12 by 4 = Three ¼ teaspoons for 1 tablespoon, or try one teaspoon since said 1-2 tablespoons per gallon. So 1 teaspoon vinegar to one quart water!!! Now, what kind of vinegar? Does it matter? I am researching that now.

Back
Top Bottom