Hen keeps getting broody

Greenmeena

Hatching
5 Years
May 20, 2014
Hi all,
I have a Buff Orpington who, thanks to your help, I got to quit being broody about 3 weeks ago. I tried the "ice cube eggs" trick- putting 4 ice cubes under her a few times a day, within 2-3 days she was back with the flock and the aggressive behavior went away.

Well, this morning I went out to check on everyone and she's in the nest box again, growling. I'm much more wary of her since her episode (she was broody for 5 weeks, got really really really skinny and very aggressive) and would hate to see her get broody again so soon. Perhaps she was just beginning to lay again, but I took this as a bad sign.

Anyone else heard of a hen who would just chronically go broody, so soon? We thought she wouldn't likely even lay eggs for 5 weeks after such a long episode. Am I just going to be continually trying to break her broody cycle? If so- it means she isn't going to be a real layer, and we're feeding her to just sit around and be angry... any advice?

thanks.

Let her hatch some babies? It sounds like she's pretty determined.

She's not eating much, so don't worry about feeding her to just sit around. I've never broken a broody before, so I don't have any other advise. I always let mine hatch babies.

Hi there,
Well- that's not practical for us, as we are at capacity in terms of how many chickens we have. We'd rather have the eggs frankly and she sits on everyone else's eggs. Lol! I'm not even sure she's laying her own at this point. Really bummed. We have a very small flock- 5 hens and 2 pullets we'll be adding in, plus the rooster. I can use ice cubes again but the question I really have is, is this going to be an ongoing issue with her? If so, we probably will eat her. Just saying.

Back
Top Bottom