Hen keeps going broody

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chixNW, Apr 5, 2018.

1. chixNW

chixNW Chirping

Mar 5, 2018
    I just realized my chicks wont be here for two weeks, 23rd estimation could be earlier. Now I am needing clarification, the laying box is high but does have a ladder, which my birds don't use they just jump down to the second level which also has a ladder but to see the babies to accomplish this with my hen could be scary. Maybe I should see if I can move her now to the ground level. When she was young she started nesting originally on floor. Hate to see babies get confused finding mom. Its a very large area in the hen house. Some reason both started laying in the duck dog house in separate enclosure. Never sure where I was going to find my eggs. But are both now laying in the laying box. It would be safer for the babies in the duck house. She is broody in the laying box. Just leave her for now then move her after a day or two introducing baby chicks. Hoping they don't fall out.

2. chixNW

chixNW Chirping

Mar 5, 2018
    hopefully all are around in two weeks. Just wondering how do you feed chick starter when in the chicken coop. Just feed them all chick starter? I decided to try the mamma hen very scary but the natural way seems right. So when I come on here freaking out in two weeks bare with me.

3. chixNW

chixNW Chirping

Mar 5, 2018
    hopefully all are around in two weeks. Just wondering how do you feed chick starter when in the chicken coop. Just feed them all chick starter? I decided to try the mamma hen very scary but the natural way seems right. So when I come on here freaking out in two weeks bare with me.

4. If I’m separating the broody and chicks they only get starter. If everyone is together, they all get starter. I have a roo now, so I feed starter all the time for his sake and have oyster and eggshell free choice for my layers.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I always feed an 'all-flock' type feed...mine has 20% protein...crumbles, but I do grind some up in the blender for the first week for the chicks.

6. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Crowing

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Feed every one chick starter - have oyster shell on the side.

Do not move the broody hen to a place you think is best. Years ago, an old rancher told me, "She knows more about being a cow, than I ever will..." and the same applies to chickens. This kind of interference cause problems.

Do not worry about the chicks, getting down, they are fluff with a couple of legs. my nest is 4 feet off the ground, never had a hurt chick yet. Just let the mother handle the whole thing. Just make sure you have gotten the chicks a good drink of water, and a little feed before the introduction and leave them alone.

When people interfere, it confuses the chicks and the hen, and you do not get the bond established. Mother nature is heartless, and a fail to thrive chick might not make it, but sometimes they don't when I brood them too.

If you have adequate space for your set up, this will be a great deal of fun to watch, but you have to leave them alone at first.

Mrs K

bobbi-j likes this.
  7. chixNW

chixNW Chirping

Mar 5, 2018
    Thank you I do understand that things can happen doing this but feel why not try with so many encouraging this situation of using a brooder mother. I currently using flock (not pellet) food with grit and oyster shell on side. I was thinking of setting up a separate feeding station with chick starter. This will be quite the experience for us all.

8. chixNW

chixNW Chirping

Mar 5, 2018
    Update! Put two two day old chicks with hen. Did the put them on her back but she immediately turned and pecked one. Shoved the babies under her wing one on each side. I did this at night. Watched how she would react for awhile. She didn't fuss at all. I couldn't sleep very well thinking I just killed these two little fluffs. Very scary. The next morning I checked at 5am, all was well she was very fluffed up at me and neck feathers straight up. Very funny looking. I reached under her wing to find babies and both were under the wing together and well. I was surprised how relaxed the chicks are. Not like in the man made broody chirping all the time. Total different demeanor being with a mamma hen. I am worried as they are in the higher up on a shelf for laying eggs. Lots of room but worry babies will fall out. I set up a feeding water area at the other end. Well she moved the babies next to the feeding station. She doesn't have to get up to eat and drink and she is teaching the babies. She has the chicks stay on the safe side and has her body blocking the drop off area. Very smart hen. But I do worry when the chicks start moving around a lot. The do stay close to mama. They like to peck at her and she is totally awesome with them. I have another hen that went broody the day before that I put in a dog cage. She broke the next day but do have her in a separate pen now. Worry she will try to lay eggs and cause problems. IMG_1126.jpg

9. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Crossing the Road

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Why not take them out of the nest and put them on the floor?

aart likes this.
  10. chixNW

chixNW Chirping

Mar 5, 2018
    They are now four days old and she has a fit to even move her a foot. I thought of moving to the floor but worry to not ruin a good situation. I thought maybe she knows better and let her move them. Not sure if this is wise. There is a ladder that goes to another level and another ladder to the floor. So That is why I check so often as it is a worry I am dealing with. You think I should move everyone to the floor with food and water and she will adjust. I am new to this stuff using a broody hen but diffidently see the benefits of it. It's amazing how chicks think it is their mom and how relaxed they are knowing they are protected by her.

11. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Crossing the Road

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I'd put them all on the floor with food and water. Those chicks are going to get more active every day, and one could fall out and get too cold or picked without Mama there to protect it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: