Hen keeps going broody

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chixNW, Apr 5, 2018.

1. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Can you put the dog cage on the floor of coop with mama and chicks?
    Just grab her and them and do it, don't wait for her 'permission'.

bobbi-j likes this.
  2. chixNW

chixNW Chirping

Mar 5, 2018
    Yes I can. So you all think its better to lock her up in a cage in the hen house instead of just moving her to the floor. My other hen is not liking be locked in the other pen but doing this as a precaution. I do have two other baby chicks that are 5 weeks old and planning on adding to the second area with the other hen. The new babies seem to stay under mama since we are pretty cold right now, not moving around much.

3. chixNW

chixNW Chirping

Mar 5, 2018
    Just to give a update. I went out this morning and my hen got up for the first time, jump down to ground level and back up two times. Telling me she was wanting to move her babies. Chickens are a lot smarter then we give them credit for. She was diffidently wanting them on the ground level now. She must of realized they are moving now. I cleaned the area off and put new bedding down. Put the water and food where I always put it prior to the babies. Except on a board instead of a higher block. Moved babies to the ground in the area she focused on. Went back and she moved the nest again next to the food and water. I guess she wants her babies so close so they can eat and drink next to her. She is a good mom.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: