Hen laid 2 soft shelled eggs at once

FL_chick

Chirping
May 12, 2021
Hi all! One of my girls laid what appears to be 2 soft-shelled eggs at once into their poop hammock (I say it's one chicken because I collected 5 normal eggs and I've got 6 girls total). Everyone laid yesterday and they were perfectly normal. They get layer feed that has oyster shell in it and I add a little to their feed as a just in case. Should I be concerned? Do you think it's possibly because two were laid instead of just the usual one? And should I be concerned with the one that looks like it broke open a little? Everyone seems to be acting just fine...

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!! Pics included.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211012-140108_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211012-140108_Gallery.jpg
    487.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20211012-140101_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211012-140101_Gallery.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 3
Hi all! One of my girls laid what appears to be 2 soft-shelled eggs at once into their poop hammock (I say it's one chicken because I collected 5 normal eggs and I've got 6 girls total). Everyone laid yesterday and they were perfectly normal. They get layer feed that has oyster shell in it and I add a little to their feed as a just in case. Should I be concerned? Do you think it's possibly because two were laid instead of just the usual one? And should I be concerned with the one that looks like it broke open a little? Everyone seems to be acting just fine...

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!! Pics included.
Do not mix oyster shells into the feed. Just leave it on the side in a seperate container. How old are your birds? Looks like a new layer glitch to me.

Good to know!! I'll start doing that with the oyster shell.

They're about 6 months old, so still young and newer to laying!
Just a normal glitch then. If you see more weird eggs, update.

I feed chick feed/grower/flock raiser with 20% protein and oyster shells on the side. I have not had a soft shelled egg in 2 years and have a flock of 23. I highly recommend sticking with All-flock or grower instead of layer feed. It makes it much easier when adding new birds as well. Layer feed is okay for laying hens, but All-flock is good for males, females, chicks, old hens, etc.

Just a normal glitch then. If you see more weird eggs, update.

I feed chick feed/grower/flock raiser with 20% protein and oyster shells on the side. I have not had a soft shelled egg in 2 years and have a flock of 23. I highly recommend sticking with All-flock or grower instead of layer feed. It makes it much easier when adding new birds as well. Layer feed is okay for laying hens, but All-flock is good for males, females, chicks, old hens, etc.
Great!! Thank you so much for your feedback and help 😊

Back
Top Bottom