Hen Laid Really Strange Object (graphic Pics)

Assuming this is not a joke - and the object was truely laid by a unfertile hen.

The outer covering & layers indicate it probably was a egg at some time, during development of the egg in the ovaduct the yolk & white are surrounded by an tough, durable, rubbery, orgainic matrix that later calcium carbonte is added to. This inner layer of the eggshell is what is seen here, in the outer layers, repeated layers, a build up of this normal tissue due to the time spent inside the ovaduct. inside the object is the remains of what was once a yolk (yolk is the same smell as chicken meat!!), or course several eggs may have combined as the shock of her injury brought a halt to all egg production. So any & all eggs in the ova duct were formed into this mass, extra layers of the organic matrix eventually formed around the mass, and when she recovered enough, it was all eliminated. What happened to the albumum (white) you ask, good question. The protein was reabsorbed and also as much of the yolk as her system could dissolve to help her to repair her damaged tissues. What you see there is just what was not dissolved & absorbed.

This is all due to her trama and near death experience. I predict a full recovery in time.

Quote:
This makes sense to me and sounds like a perfectly logical explanation!
clap.gif

The hen seems to be doing just fine today...She has not laid anything else (egg or otherwise)...I will continue to watch her and make sure that no further problems develop...I will continue to keep everyone updated and see about getting the object that she laid to the vet to see if they can take a look at it...Not sure whether or not they will charge me to check it out or not as I have already spent $30+ on vet bills for this chicken and will not spend any more as she was an $8 chicken....This may sound bad but I always said I wouldn't be the person to take my chicken to the vet and there I sat that morning late for work waiting for my chicken to see the vet! I am 99% sure she will make it through all of this as she is very strong and has survived so much already...I don't really care whether or not she ever produces an egg we all just became very attached to her during her 2 week stay inside as we started doctoring her back to health! There have been some great suggestions as to what this object could be and I feel that a number of them could be correct. Thanks for all your help and keep the suggestions and comments coming...By the way it will be a long time before I ever eat an egg roll again!

Interesting, I would love to know what that is! And for the record, it is indeed possible for an unfertilized egg to develop... just do a search on 'Parthenogenesis'. And one site that I just looked at said something about there being a higher instance of it with double yolk eggs and I think it had to do with the few days extra that the egg spent in the hen? So if this egg was in for more than a few days extra... it possibly could be an embryo?

Just curious to know whether this mystery was ever solved. We found something very much like this in our coop today -- can't see the pictures anymore, but judging from the descriptions, it's the same thing. We'd love to hear an update, if anyone has figured this out. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom