Hen Laid Really Strange Object (graphic Pics)

Wow! The first thing that came to my mind was one of those Chinese egg rolls, too! lol

Ewww, all you need now is chicken fried rice. I hope the hen who layed this monster is ok, talk about PTSS!

That is really gross looking but it is fascinating. I hope you can take this to a veterinary school or some place where they can analyze it and discover what it really is, not only to appease curiosity but also for education for when it happens again. Apparently it is not an unheard of event, even if it is very rare.

I like the theory that something small was trapped in the oviduct and over time got layers and layers built up until it was large enough to pass or was forced by a good egg to pass, kind of like a chicken pearl, if you will. (If all pearls looked like this I bet women would quit wearing them!). But, that is strictly theory and not based on any knowledge.

I hope your chook gets back to normal after this and lives a long, healthy life producing good eggs. Please keep us posted if you pursue having it analyzed by a professional.

"Sometimes when a bird lays an egg it does not come down the oviduct as planned. Usually due to a Hormone Imbalance it will reverse course and fall back into the body cavity and at some point in time may or may not be reabsorbed by the bird's body.

This egg appears to be one that was not absorbed in the body cavity but managed to make its way back into the oviduct and finally make its way out of the bird's body.

When the body tries to absorb an egg it will try to wall it off and surrounds it with a Calcium like material. This is one of the reasons why it may appear that several shells have been laid down.

It is also possible for an egg to be fertile and have the same reverse course episode. When these eggs are opened it may appear that there is tissue in the egg. They usually have somewhat of a foul odor but are not totally rotten.

Birds that are internal layers may have several ova back up into the body cavity. The body tries to absorb them and lays down the calcium. Upon opening the egg it will appear to have several eggs within an egg. "

http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article.html

Quote:
Yuck..I hope I never find one of these. My hubby will never eat eggs again if I do! hinkjc, interesting link. I think I have seen this before too.

Quote:
Only thing, eggs dont smell like raw chicken, even old ones. The smell reason I think part of the hen. Parts of tumors do break off, then maybe coated.....

It could've been a big piece of tissue (that does occur at times although a tiny piece) that came off with the yolk and since was so big it was layered over and over as it was "stuck" until it eventually went down and was layed. Anyway you can take it to a veterinarian or university to find out? Bet they'd be interested enough to section it and try to identify for their own curiosity. Heck, I would want to check it out under a microscope myself!

Quote:
Thanks for the mental image of an eggroll coming out of a hens behind. Your right though, it does look like one. I was actually going to make egg rolls tomorrow, now I don't think I can stoimach to make them.

Back
Top Bottom