Hen lame, help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TipperaryChickens, Aug 19, 2019.

1. TipperaryChickens

TipperaryChickens In the Brooder

Jan 5, 2019
    Hi all
    I have a hen that is around 6 months old, only started laying about 3 weeks ago.
    She started limping pretty badly a few days ago and for past 2 days has been staying mostly in one of the nest boxes, although this morning is out but still limping.
    She is still laying.
    any ideas?
    Thanks

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    ValerieJ likes this.
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you grab her and insert a finger inside her vent an inch or two to feel for a stuck egg? Wear a disposable gove if you have one. Place her on some paper towels in a dog crate to collect some poops. If she is not pooping, she might be egg bound. Egg binding can sometimes cause a temporary paralysis in the legs. Other possibilities could be getting into moldy feed, a toxin, or Mareks disease. Keep her close to her food and water, and make sure that she is getting enough.

ValerieJ likes this.
  3. TipperaryChickens

TipperaryChickens In the Brooder

Jan 5, 2019
    I should have said she is laying so shes not eggbound. Maybe it could be something to do with moldy food, its been raining pretty hard and sometimes the feed gets a bit wet and they probably eat some before I get a chance to remove it
    Thanks for your reply

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Coccidiosis can be common in warm and rainy weather as well. That could cause weakness which might may
    make her unable to walk.

TipperaryChickens likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: