Hen lame, help!

TipperaryChickens

In the Brooder
Jan 5, 2019
Hi all
I have a hen that is around 6 months old, only started laying about 3 weeks ago.
She started limping pretty badly a few days ago and for past 2 days has been staying mostly in one of the nest boxes, although this morning is out but still limping.
She is still laying.
any ideas?
Thanks

Last edited:
Can you grab her and insert a finger inside her vent an inch or two to feel for a stuck egg? Wear a disposable gove if you have one. Place her on some paper towels in a dog crate to collect some poops. If she is not pooping, she might be egg bound. Egg binding can sometimes cause a temporary paralysis in the legs. Other possibilities could be getting into moldy feed, a toxin, or Mareks disease. Keep her close to her food and water, and make sure that she is getting enough.

Can you grab her and insert a finger inside her vent an inch or two to feel for a stuck egg? Wear a disposable gove if you have one. Place her on some paper towels in a dog crate to collect some poops. If she is not pooping, she might be egg bound. Egg binding can sometimes cause a temporary paralysis in the legs. Other possibilities could be getting into moldy feed, a toxin, or Mareks disease. Keep her close to her food and water, and make sure that she is getting enough.

I should have said she is laying so shes not eggbound. Maybe it could be something to do with moldy food, its been raining pretty hard and sometimes the feed gets a bit wet and they probably eat some before I get a chance to remove it
Thanks for your reply

Back
Top Bottom