Hen Laying Age

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickenFarmer03, Jul 12, 2016.

1. ChickenFarmer03

ChickenFarmer03 New Egg

Jul 12, 2016
    California
    HI! At about what age do hens lay their first egg? I know this question probably gets asked a lot, and I have been searching for a specific answer and have not found one. I am pretty new to chicken owning. I have 2 Delawares, 2 Silver Laced Wyandottes, 2 Black Jersey Giants, 2 Cuckoo Marans, and 1 Buff Laced Polish. They are all 17 weeks old. Thank you for the help! ~ChickenFarmer03

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

20-26 is the average, but they can lay as early as 16 or as late as 28. (Sometimes later). Yours are all breeds that typically fit into the average category. You will know they are going to lay soon when their combs begin to redden.

3. wsmith77

wsmith77 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2015
    Ft McCoy, FL
    I've had very good luck with cuckoo marans. Mine started to lay around 18 weeks and have been machines!

4. ChickenFarmer03

ChickenFarmer03 New Egg

Jul 12, 2016
    California
    Thank you so much! At least 6 of my 9 have red combs, and waddles. They seem to squat when I reach down to pet them. Is that another sign?

5. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Yes, they're squatting down because they think you are a rooster trying to mount them. That is another sign of maturity.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by