1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen laying because of other hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pnutj58, Jan 17, 2014.

1. pnutj58

pnutj58 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2013
    Pacific Northwest
    I have two dark brahma hens. The oldest (Tillie) is about ten and a half months old and started laying on January 5th. The younger one (Hilary) is just over eight months old. I know brahmas tend to mature later and I chose not to supplement their lighting for winter. So, when I found that Tillie had laid an egg on January 5th, I was surprised. I also figured Hilary wouldn't start laying for another couple of months, going by when Tillie started. But, today, I was outside and told Hilary she was making more noise than Tillie and Tillie's the one who is laying the eggs. (Yes, I talk to my girls.) In general, the ladies are pretty quiet - except for at egg laying time. So when I went to collect Tillie's egg and I found two eggs, in separate nesting bays, I was somewhat shocked -- and I have to admit I was giddy with excitement, too.

So, my question is, is it possible that Hilary started laying BECAUSE Tillie lays? They are two months apart in age, and the same breed. Do hens sync up like that?

On an side note, I don't usually post, but I've learned a lot from reading other posts. I just couldn't find anything on this subject. I love this site. Thanks. [​IMG]

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yep, it can happen. The older one could be a bit slower to mature and the younger one a bit faster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by