Hen laying because of other hen?

pnutj58

Chirping
9 Years
Nov 2, 2013
Pacific Northwest
I have two dark brahma hens. The oldest (Tillie) is about ten and a half months old and started laying on January 5th. The younger one (Hilary) is just over eight months old. I know brahmas tend to mature later and I chose not to supplement their lighting for winter. So, when I found that Tillie had laid an egg on January 5th, I was surprised. I also figured Hilary wouldn't start laying for another couple of months, going by when Tillie started. But, today, I was outside and told Hilary she was making more noise than Tillie and Tillie's the one who is laying the eggs. (Yes, I talk to my girls.) In general, the ladies are pretty quiet - except for at egg laying time. So when I went to collect Tillie's egg and I found two eggs, in separate nesting bays, I was somewhat shocked -- and I have to admit I was giddy with excitement, too.

So, my question is, is it possible that Hilary started laying BECAUSE Tillie lays? They are two months apart in age, and the same breed. Do hens sync up like that?

On an side note, I don't usually post, but I've learned a lot from reading other posts. I just couldn't find anything on this subject. I love this site. Thanks.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom