Hen laying eggs with no shell

How old is Cinnamon? New layer or veteran? Some hens don't absorb the calcium very well from oyster shell. It's calcium carbonate, and it can be a bit harder for some hens to assimilate. Also, if the oyster shell particles are reduced to mostly powder, they get flushed through the hen's system too quickly to be absorbed. Periodically topping off the supply with fresh is a good practice.

I use calcium citrate because it's the easiest of all the forms of calcium to absorb. Around 400 to 600mg. Getting the kind with vitamin D 3 added will help even more. Give one tablet each day until the eggs are normal, then you can quit.

The feather loss on the back is something I've dealt with, and it's sometimes because there's something lacking in the hen's nutritional makeup. I've had hens with bald backs go as long as two years without regrowing the feathers. I've had to resort to putting sunscreen on them. Sometimes feeding high grade animal protein such as liver or mackerel can help.
Thank you for this reply I'm dealing with this with my hens who are only a year old....almost all of them have lost the feathers on their backs and I got rid of the rooster because of it now I'm thinking it may not have been him? Last night I found an egg with no shell so maybe it is the nutrition will study this further....I don't like my girls not having their feathers...

Back
Top Bottom