Hen laying every day.... dangerous?

guest226

Chirping
Nov 18, 2023
Both of my easter eggers have been very good layers. They are 3 years old, and they used to lay every other day. After their molt breaks they suddenly began to lay every single day. The eggs are fine, but I am worried about their health. One lays huge eggs compared to her body size, but luckily she began molting again.

One of my hens already has ovarian cancer, so I am worried they will develop issues from laying this much.
I have vets willing to give hormone implants but they are super expensive and I can't do it for all my hens.

Should I trust that since they are healthy, active, and eat calcium, that they will be ok??

Yes, they should be fine. Some breeds lay nearly every day of the year. I have silkies and if they'd not be broody, it would be about 3/4 of that. They lay 5 out of 7.

If you worry, you could start giving them Nutra Drench or Poultry Cell water every other day, or some other type of vitamin supplement with calcium and protein in it.

Yes, they should be fine. Some breeds lay nearly every day of the year. I have silkies and if they'd not be broody, it would be about 3/4 of that. They lay 5 out of 7.

If you worry, you could start giving them Nutra Drench or Poultry Cell water every other day, or some other type of vitamin supplement with calcium and protein in it.
They get Hydro Hen probiotics + vitamins in their water and free access to oyster shells.

They also get plenty of protein.

I did just realize that they are not on layer feed. Is my current setup ok or do I need to buy layer feed? They're on regular feed.

I'm also starting to mix in some flax seed for prevention matters.

They get Hydro Hen probiotics + vitamins in their water and free access to oyster shells.

They also get plenty of protein.

I did just realize that they are not on layer feed. Is my current setup ok or do I need to buy layer feed? They're on regular feed.

I'm also starting to mix in some flax seed for prevention matters.
If not layer feed, is it an all flock type? The latter is fine provided you give them oyster shell which you are.

Layer feed has more calcium than other chicken feeds. That is what makes it a "layer" feed instead of any other kind. As long as your hens have a constant supply of oyster shell for calcium, they do not need to have feed that is labeled "layer." (They can have layer feed, they just do not need to.)

Most layer feeds have lower protein than most other kinds of chicken feed. That does vary from one feed to another, so reading the label is the way to tell what protein level YOUR layer feed has. 15% and 16% protein are common in layer feeds, 18% protein and 20% protein are common in all-flock feeds and chick starters and many other chicken feeds. Those higher protein levels (18% and 20%) are fine for layers, and are often good to have.

That one says it is a layer feed.
When I look at the nutrition panel, I see calcium over 4%, which is definitely in "layer" range. Other chicken feeds should have calcium closed to 1%.

I notice that one is 18% protein, which is higher than many other layer feeds have, and is in the same range with many other foods that work well for chickens of all ages (including laying hens.)

You can save the implant as an emergency treatment option for them if they develop issues that can’t be managed otherwise. It’s a good prevention option too, but as you say the cost is a barrier. However it can be used as a cure for acute issues like salpingitis and chronic soft shelled eggs.

I actually just wrote an article about this so I’ll link it here and hopefully it might help you. I’ve put some info there on health checks and monitoring so you can identify warning signs / make a more informed decision about their reproductive needs.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/reproductive-health-in-chickens.79238/

If they are 3 years old with no prior issues and stop laying during moult/darker months that’s great and bodes well for their future health.

Laying an egg every day does drain a hen's body, but your chickens should be fine. It is always good to watch them and be prepared, as hens who lay every day are the most likely to prolapse, get egg bound, internally lay, or have other egg problems. Keep in mind that I am talking about literally every day—if they have breaks, then that is not every day and that is good for their health to stop laying once in a while. Hens typically stop laying when they molt and in the colder months without as much daylight.

Back
Top Bottom