Hen Laying From Roost

Dandaman1017

In the Brooder
Mar 3, 2021
My 18 month Speckled Sussex has been laying from the roost for the past 2 months... lol! Some eggs are fine, most unsalvageable. Only a couple have made it into the nesting box. She never did this until about 2 months ago when she became head of the pecking order due to the head passing away.

She is herself, noisy and energetic haha, and there are no physical augmentations that I can see. Anyone have thoughts on why she may be doing this? Possibly stress from becoming the queen or stress in general? Maybe she just can't hold them in anymore?

My 18 month Speckled Sussex has been laying from the roost for the past 2 months... lol! Some eggs are fine, most unsalvageable. Only a couple have made it into the nesting box. She never did this until about 2 months ago when she became head of the pecking order due to the head passing away.

She is herself, noisy and energetic haha, and there are no physical augmentations that I can see. Anyone have thoughts on why she may be doing this? Possibly stress from becoming the queen or stress in general? Maybe she just can't hold them in anymore?
Im not to sure, but is it a possibility the roost is higher then the nesting box? It could be stress but if thats the case she might sit there because its higher and more comfortable.

My Black Sex Link girl does this. She's almost 7 mo old and I usually find the eggs really early in the morning (I usually go in to check on them around 5:45 in the morning when it's still dark - for now - and the egg is sometimes already in the wood shavings). I just assumed she just needs to lay them before the sun comes up and has no other option but to lay from her perch :idunno .

Does she lay them at night or during the day?
Are your other birds using the nests?
Are you positive she's the head hen?

Im not to sure, but is it a possibility the roost is higher then the nesting box? It could be stress but if thats the case she might sit there because its higher and more comfortable.
The roost is higher! Maybe you're right! Who's knows lol. Thanks!

Does she lay them at night or during the day?
Are your other birds using the nests?
Are you positive she's the head hen?
She usually lays them overnight. Found one when I put them to bed at 7pm tonight though. 9/10 times I find them when I check on them first thing in the morning. And I'm positive its her as her egg is distinctive.

The others are all using the nesting boxes. I'm positive.

I am almost 100% certain she is the top. She'll peck the others and never gets pecked. She will also steal treats from the others mouthes.

She usually lays them overnight. Found one when I put them to bed at 7pm tonight though. 9/10 times I find them when I check on them first thing in the morning. And I'm positive its her as her egg is distinctive.

The others are all using the nesting boxes. I'm positive.

I am almost 100% certain she is the top. She'll peck the others and never gets pecked. She will also steal treats from the others mouthes.
Hard to say.....chickens are fickle, is the only answer I can come up with.

Back
Top Bottom