Hen laying mini bean-sized rubbery eggs - lethargic with swollen abdomen. Please help

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jcb2, Feb 12, 2012.

1. jcb2

jcb2 New Egg

Feb 11, 2012
    [​IMG]
    A week ago one of our three hens layed 4 mini eggs that were the size of a bean and are soft and rubbery. They were all together on a paper plate. No yolk but are completely beige on the inside too. The hens are all 1 1/2 years old and seemed happy and healthy at the time.

For the last week one of them, an amber sexlink, has not layed a normal egg and has become lethargic and sleeps most of the day. Her abdomen seems swollen - a bit larger than what an egg would feel like in there. I tried to feel up her vent with a glove and olive oil to lubricate but couldn't find the right canal. After about 4 days with no egg from her (she is a regular layer) we gave her a 40 min. hot soak and kept her in the house. No egg, so the next day gave her two separate hot steams in a small enclosure for 2 hours+ each time. No egg since.

It has been 6 days and she sleeps most of the day and perks up a few times to walk around a bit and sip water and will eat a little oatmeal, lettuce and cooked plain spaghetti (her fav). Yesterday, while laying on the floor she layed another little bean egg. I took a picture so you can see what I'm talking about. Is this EYP? I've read quite a few posts about EYP but haven't heard anyone talk about the mini eggs too. I'm baffled and very worried. She is the sweetest and my favorite of course. Not sure how much longer she will last.

The only vet we have in our small town specializes in cattle and didn't give me any confidence that he had a clue about chickens as they only saw them on a very limited basis.

Can anyone help with this?

Thank you so much!!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by