Hen laying shell-less eggs on a continual basis?

ClearCreekGirl

Songster
7 Years
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Hilda is a two(ish) year old Delaware hen. She is a healthy weight, neither too heavy or too light.
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Laying extremely thin-shelled eggs or eggs with no shell, just the membrane. One egg she laid was a perfectly formed egg inside of another membrane.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
About six weeks.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
All the other hens are laying normally.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
Nothing visibly wrong. She seems to be very healthy, except for the eggs.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
None that I know of. She is not beginning layer, is not stressed, and gets plenty of calcium.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
She's been eating and drinking normally. She is fed layer pellets supplemented with scratch, free-choice oyster shells, and anything she finds free-ranging half the day.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Normal.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Nothing. I thought it might just be a "hiccup" in her system, but apparently not.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
No vets around here will see chickens, so it'll be up to me.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

Coop with large attached run, but free-ranges part of the day.

Any ideas? She doesn't seem affected by it, but her eggs break and get the other eggs sticky. I don't want any of them to start eating eggs. Thanks for any help!

[COLOR=333333]
[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]Hilda is a two(ish) year old Delaware hen. She is a healthy weight, neither too heavy or too light.[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]
[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]2) What is the behavior, exactly.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]Laying extremely thin-shelled eggs or eggs with no shell, just the membrane. One egg she laid was a perfectly formed egg inside of another membrane.[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]
[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]About six weeks.[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]
[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]All the other hens are laying normally.[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]
[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]Nothing visibly wrong. She seems to be very healthy, except for the eggs.[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]
[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.[/COLOR]
None that I know of. She is not beginning layer, is not stressed, and gets plenty of calcium.[COLOR=333333]
[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]She's been eating and drinking normally. She is fed layer pellets supplemented with scratch, free-choice oyster shells, and anything she finds free-ranging half the day.[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]
[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]Normal.[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]
[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]Nothing. I thought it might just be a "hiccup" in her system, but apparently not.[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]
[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]No vets around here will see chickens, so it'll be up to me.[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]
[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]
[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]12) Describe the housing/bedding in use[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]Coop with large attached run, but free-ranges part of the day.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]Any ideas? She doesn't seem affected by it, but her eggs break and get the other eggs sticky. I don't want any of them to start eating eggs. Thanks for any help![/COLOR]

It may be what's known as egg-binding. It will sometimes occur in older layers though it is more common in younger hens. Give her extra calcium and using a glove, feel up her vent for an egg. Occasionally hens will lay soft shelled eggs, but six weeks of it consistently doesn't sound normal. Hoping for the best!

Regards,
Leaf

Thanks, Leaf! I will feel for an egg and see if that could be the problem.
smile.png

Well, I checked Hilda, much to her loudly-proclaimed annoyance. (She's very friendly, but isn't a touchy-feely kind of girl. She minded the vent check much less than the unladylike manhandling
lol.png
) She doesn't appear to be egg bound. I gently felt of her abdomen as well as as the internal "feel-about", and all seems fine. I would think that she just had a shell gland that never developed properly, but she had been laying normal eggs. She seems happy, so...
idunno.gif

Well, I checked Hilda, much to her loudly-proclaimed annoyance. (She's very friendly, but isn't a touchy-feely kind of girl. She minded the vent check much less than the unladylike manhandling :lol:  ) She doesn't appear to be egg bound. I gently felt of her abdomen as well as as the internal "feel-about", and all seems fine. I would think that she just had a shell gland that never developed properly, but she had been laying normal eggs. She seems happy, so... :idunno  

Who knows. I'd just let her be unless she begins to show discomfort. Good luck!

Regards,
Leaf

Some egg laying problems can be caused by nutritional deficiencies and/or lack of absorption on the hens part , usually lack of calcium, vitamins E, B12 and D as well as phosphorous and selenium. Also some diseases/disorders could be the culprit.
IMO I would provide some vitamins in her water to see if that helps at all. I see that you do provide oyster shell, but if she if having problems absorbing the nutrition she is provided you may want to supplement her further with either liquid calcium or foods rich in calcium, etc.
Hope that helps
smile.png

Vitamin information:
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/3508/importance-of-vitamins-in-poultry-production/

List of common vitamins, products and foods that contain them:
http://www.tillysnest.com/2014/03/vitamin-deficiencies-in-backyard-chicks-html/

Egg laying problems:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/common-egg-quality-problems
https://poultrykeeper.com/egg-problems/soft-thin-or-missing-egg-shells/

Back
Top Bottom