hen laying thin shelled eggs

QCFChicks

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 19, 2011
I have a hen hen that is about a yr and a half old and has been laying fine. Recently she started laying eggs that have had a raised ring near the middle and some shorter and stubby some a little longer all with thin shells. Her diet has not changed nothing has changed other than about three weeks ago a dog got in the pen and killed all but her and two other hens. I know stress can effect there laying frequency but haven't heard or seen it effect the shell or size. Any info on what to do to fix this would be great she has broken every egg she has laid since. Thanks

welcome-byc.gif

Have you tried giving her oyster shell free choice? This will increase her calcium intake and should help thicken the shells up.

I haven't tried that yet but will. I guess the reason I haven't tried it yet is she is the only one doing this I figured if there was a lack of calcium they all would be having this problem.

i sometimes keep their used shells until i get a big pile, and then bake them in the oven on low for an hour or so, crush them fine and put them back in their feed, if i run out of calcium supplement. free and makes use of the shells

Put the shells out today. How long does it usually take to see a difference? I'm going to try used shells for sure sounds like a great idea and the best part is they don't cost anything

Back
Top Bottom