Hen left her eggs mid hatch-

Emilysanchezaz

In the Brooder
Jun 11, 2021
My hen had 8 eggs- two hatched, one yesterday and one today, and now she has left the nest to take care of them but one of the remaining eggs has pipped and at least two others are moving; should I move them to an incubator to let them hatch or try to keep putting her back on them? I'm afraid they'll die without her-

:welcome Put them in an incubator to hatch. This is the problem with a staggered hatch. Hens are biologically programmed to leave the nest within 24 to 36 hours of the first chick hatching. This is so that the chicks can access feed and water. It MAY be possible to foster the chicks to her once they hatch.

I have them in the incubator but not seeing much progress from the one that had pipped. I've heard a couple peeps so here's hoping. Lesson learned- don't let the other hens lay in the broody's nest once she starts sitting... I moved her into her own spot once we realized but she must've had a couple extra days of eggs come in. I wasn't expecting any to hatch until tomorrow- had marked off 21 days- but clearly she had a couple early ones already started. I really hope these guys make it- heartbreaking to feel them move and hear them cheep and then lose them. 😥

Well, the first two chicks are doing great with mama- of the six eggs I moved to the incubator three have since hatched- one chick died shortly after it hatched; couldn't see anything physically wrong with it so maybe it got cold or was just weak? The other two are doing great- now just waiting to see if the last ones will hatch! No pipping yet but today is still just day 21 according to my count so hoping they'll still come out.

Back
Top Bottom