KatyBishop

Hatching
Aug 8, 2017
3 days ago my 2.5 year old hen was found laying on the ground unable to move her legs. This was very sudden and showed no symptoms of any disease or physical injury, and will not respond to touching or moving of her legs. She would try to move by pulling herself with her wings, she also will not eat or drink anything. Her comb is a dark red and purple on the tips, and has a bright green and white diarrhea. I brought her into the house in case of any infectious diseases, and made food and water available. I have been hand giving her electrolyte water for the past two days, gave her an antibiotic, and just today gave her nutri-drench, but nothing seems to help. At this point she seems miserable and I can't tell whether she will recover or if it's time to euthinize her. Really would love some opinions and advise, thank you.

I live in Michigan, I also though Marek's, but from what I read it doesn't often form in older chickens

Also her legs are not in a split position, but her abdomen is very bloated.
That is going to need to be drained, get a sewing needle, sterilize it, and like a few holes just beneath the skin. Then press on her skin, it should start releasing the air from your hen' s abdomen. I've done this once or twice, My Dad has done it for years, so has my Grandpa, no infections with this procedure yet!

Back
Top Bottom