Hen lethargic and not eating, only drinking

DebbieA57

Chirping
Nov 30, 2019
Central New Jersey
I know this has been discussed before, but not for my precious girl. I have a 4-year old Barred Plymouth Rock named Bonnie. About 48 hours ago, she started acting lethargic. She is drinking, but not eating. Breathing fine, no nasal discharge. I checked to see if I could feel an egg - nothing. Her lower belly does feel rock hard however.

Next steps? Warm bath with massage, but if the egg can’t be felt, should I bother doing this? Not sure good idea to get her wet. Would a vet be able to do something or likely not? I have her in a dog crate in my garage with a heater on. I put amoxy in her water and have given her chick mash.

Thank you. I appreciate your help.

Has she been laying that you can tell? Any poop coming out? Does her lower belly feel watery like an over filled balloon or solid? How is her crop feeling?

Just in case she has an egg issue I would give her some calcium to start. Not in food or water but just pop her beak open and make her swallow it. That can't hurt anything.

If you amoxicillin is in pill form I would give it to her that way. If you think it's an infection you want to get enough in her to help and she may or may not drink enough. If you go that route don't give it at the same time as the calcium.

A vet could feel around to see if it feels like a reproductive problem. Has she had anything that could cause an impaction of her gizzard? I would try to get her to eat some scrambled egg or other solids to see if they come through.

People will want poop pics. Is it clear or eggy at all?

Just in case she has an egg issue I would give her some calcium to start. Not in food or water but just pop her beak open and make her swallow it. That can't hurt anything.

If you amoxicillin is in pill form I would give it to her that way. If you think it's an infection you want to get enough in her to help and she may or may not drink enough. If you go that route don't give it at the same time as the calcium.

A vet could feel around to see if it feels like a reproductive problem. Has she had anything that could cause an impaction of her gizzard? I would try to get her to eat some scrambled egg or other solids to see if they come through.

People will want poop pics. Is it clear or eggy at all?
At this point she hasn’t pooped since overnight when it was just watery. I’m not aware of her eating anything she shouldn’t, but she does spend time free ranging.

Back
Top Bottom