Lyndssxo08

Songster
5 Years
May 3, 2018
Purcellville, VA
My Coop
My Coop
Good morning everyone,

I have a hen Penelope that has been known to prolapse over the last couple years (she’s around 3 1/2 years old). Normally I have not had any trouble fixing the prolapse every time and she has always seem normal and healthy other than that. Earlier this week she wasn’t acting like her normal self, so I brought her inside, gave her an epsom salt bath, some antibiotics because of the yellowish/green poop that seemed to have some sort of infection, and cleaned her vent up good. She’s been inside ever since and hasn’t had her normal energy at all. I’ve been feeding her flax seed for 2 days because I read that it may help ovarian cancer in chickens (figured that’s what may be going on due to the previous prolapse issues she’s had over the years).

This morning I woke up to her still lethargic, but she’s been drinking fine. (I’ve been giving her a polyvisol without iron, unflavored pedialtye and vitamin mixture twice a day.) her appetite hasn’t gotten much better though and I found this pink fatty mass that she passed sometime last night in her poop. I’ve never seen anything like it before, so just trying to see if anyone else has experienced this? Pictures are posted - one of the mass, 2 of the mass after I inspected it, 3 of her poop as of last night. The mass I found this morning is not firm at all and was easy to smash up. My vet always reminds me that he’s not super familiar with poultry and is always willing to help (he tells me all the time that I probably have more luck knowing what’s going on than he will because of all the stuff I have learned the last couple years with chickens LOL). Any help on this would be greatly appreciate as always and thank you guys in advance!

Attachments

• A2145330-72DE-413E-9D62-858BEDF97BA5.jpeg
    A2145330-72DE-413E-9D62-858BEDF97BA5.jpeg
    517.6 KB · Views: 34
  • C3A9F7AA-C554-48D8-ABE9-A3F5B2997830.jpeg
    C3A9F7AA-C554-48D8-ABE9-A3F5B2997830.jpeg
    485.5 KB · Views: 23
  • A2487BA4-FBA3-4F16-977A-7530881EB831.jpeg
    A2487BA4-FBA3-4F16-977A-7530881EB831.jpeg
    612.4 KB · Views: 22
Good morning everyone,

I have a hen Penelope that has been known to prolapse over the last couple years (she’s around 3 1/2 years old). Normally I have not had any trouble fixing the prolapse every time and she has always seem normal and healthy other than that. Earlier this week she wasn’t acting like her normal self, so I brought her inside, gave her an epsom salt bath, some antibiotics because of the yellowish/green poop that seemed to have some sort of infection, and cleaned her vent up good. She’s been inside ever since and hasn’t had her normal energy at all. I’ve been feeding her flax seed for 2 days because I read that it may help ovarian cancer in chickens (figured that’s what may be going on due to the previous prolapse issues she’s had over the years).

This morning I woke up to her still lethargic, but she’s been drinking fine. (I’ve been giving her a polyvisol without iron, unflavored pedialtye and vitamin mixture twice a day.) her appetite hasn’t gotten much better though and I found this pink fatty mass that she passed sometime last night in her poop. I’ve never seen anything like it before, so just trying to see if anyone else has experienced this? Pictures are posted - one of the mass, 2 of the mass after I inspected it, 3 of her poop as of last night. The mass I found this morning is not firm at all and was easy to smash up. My vet always reminds me that he’s not super familiar with poultry and is always willing to help (he tells me all the time that I probably have more luck knowing what’s going on than he will because of all the stuff I have learned the last couple years with chickens LOL). Any help on this would be greatly appreciate as always and thank you guys in advance!
Am I right in thinking that she keeps having prolapses? If it is recurring- The best thing you can do after treating a prolapse successfully, is talk to a vet about getting her on hormones to cease egg laying for a while. That break, could help her to fully recover.
What form of calcium are you offering?
I'm no expert and I really dont know what to make of the situation, but I really hope someone is able to offer advice soon and that your hen will be okay!

Am I right in thinking that she keeps having prolapses? If it is recurring- The best thing you can do after treating a prolapse successfully, is talk to a vet about getting her on hormones to cease egg laying for a while. That break, could help her to fully recover.
What form of calcium are you offering?
I'm no expert and I really dont know what to make of the situation, but I really hope someone is able to offer advice soon and that your hen will be okay!
My vet just told me to keep doing what I’m doing because she recovers and normally goes back to normal within a day or so. I just know to always keep an eye on her. She rarely lays eggs anymore which she really hasn’t for probably a year or two. Just has ones here and there.

When I bring her in to treat her for prolapses I give her extra calcium by crushing up calcium pills to add to her food while I have her seperated.

I feed all my chickens oyster shells.

I believe she may have laid a lash egg. One of mine did the same thing and has been up and down for months. Unfortunately she has taken a turn the last few days. I too, believe it’s reproductive cancer.

Praying you find help for your girl! 🤎

Back
Top Bottom