Hen lethargic by nature, or illness?

guest226

Chirping
Nov 18, 2023
3 year old buff cochin hen has been a sleepier hen since she was a chick. She wouldn't eat as much as the others and was picky with treats. She got picked on by her sisters.

Now, she eats well, became large and healthy sized, however is not very active and is often seen sitting/standing around compared to the others, who scratch around in the dirt, run, and fly around. She is scared to fly up and down roosts, presumably from an experience where she has fallen off/injured herself slightly. (She is fine, no injuries) so she isn't active. I was scared she was obese, but I can feel her keelbone and she is the size of a normal buff cochin (?) Her abdomen is not very swolen, but is not flat. I would assume it is fat.

She stands in a droopy state with her tail down and head tucked in that would make someone think she is sick, but will snap out of it and return to her normal state when excited, happy, or when there is food. It seems to be her relaxed position. She can run around easily. Pics will be attached.
When she was around pullet age-1 year old, she had on and off mild respiratory difficulties. She would just have runny nose and would pant a bit more than others, but they cleared up within a week or so and did not affect the other hens. I was not previously educated on respitory disease - now, I know to treat it.

They eat Modesto Milling feed, grubs, seeds, vegetables (lettuce, kale, cabbage, + more) and the occasional treat of fruit (watermelon, pomegranate, etc). They are not free range but have a very long run with many roosts.

Due to her weight and breed, along with her fear of flying down/up roosts, I'm afraid she will become obese and will have other respiratory issues, and possibly things like liver failure and heart issues - or if she is already developing it.

Buff cochin on right, resting position. Better pics can be applied tomorrow!

1703578337412.png

Drooping head (zombie pose) is usually coccidia. Treatment is corid.
She could also have lingering effects from her respiratory disease. You could try giving her immune support like probiotics or pure oregano oil in her water.
I have a few extra large chickens who can't fly up to roost. They can all hop up 2' onto a steel water trough, or lower roosting bar. There is also a little ladder with 6" between the rungs leaning on this lower bar so they can walk up to roost. I also train them to roost by going around the coop at dusk and picking up any chickens still on the floor, and placing them on an appropriate roost, sometimes different roosts until they find one they like. Usually after a few days they figure it out.

Drooping head (zombie pose) is usually coccidia. Treatment is corid.
I have a few extra large chickens who can't fly up to roost. They can all hop up 2' onto a steel water trough, or lower roosting bar. There is also a little ladder with 6" between the rungs leaning on this lower bar so they can walk up to roost. I also train them to roost by going around the coop at dusk and picking up any chickens still on the floor, and placing them on an appropriate roost, sometimes different roosts until they find one they like. Usually after a few days they figure it out.
Hello, thank you! Is coccidia appropriate to diagnose if her poop is normal and she has a good appetite?

Luckily, she can still fly up to the sleeping roost (2' above ground) but I have seen her fall off once! Thank you for the advice!

If her poop is normal then not coccidia. You could also try HydroHen powder in her water. She may have a vitamin deficiency that is causing fatigue.
Hello, thank you! Is coccidia appropriate to diagnose if her poop is normal and she has a good appetite?

Luckily, she can still fly up to the sleeping roost (2' above ground) but I have seen her fall off once! Thank you for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom