Hen lethargic, droopy wings

Cheyennez

Hatching
Apr 17, 2021
One of my hens who's about 3 years old was really lethargic this morning, droopy wings, and struggling with walking. I had noticed one of her wings drooping about 3 days prior, but didn't think it was that big of a deal, she was eating and moving around just fine.

This morning I went to water them and I noticed my hen was struggling to move around, both of her wings were drooping, and she appeared like she was seriously struggling to stand. I went down by the house to get their feed, and when I came back to the coop I saw she had moved from the coop to their waterer which I was surprised by because it looked as if she would be unable to get there at all with how slow she was going. She was drinking water this morning and had no difficulty doing so, but she has not ate at all even when I brought food to her. she was laying out in the sun and I didn't want anything to get her while she was sleeping defenselessly outside of the coop, so I put a box with a whole cut in for her to move in and out (just in case she was going to move) and she fell asleep there at 2:00, and when I came to put them up at 8:00 she was still laying there, eyes open. I had to pick her up and move her into the coop, tomorrow I'm gonna examine her for any psychical issues (pale comb, etc.) I just wanted to see if anyone here had a clue as to what it could be?

Welcome to BYC.
Inspect her closely for lice and mites, especially around the vent area. Worm her with either Safeguard liquid goat wormer or Valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer.

Welcome to BYC.
Inspect her closely for lice and mites, especially around the vent area. Worm her with either Safeguard liquid goat wormer or Valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer.
thank you for your help, but she died overnight before I could examine her.

My hen is presenting the same way, but with the typical penguin stance. Yours sounds like how mine was yesterday: check for hard distended abdonmen, because it could be oviduct impaction.

My hen died overnight as well. She was a nearly 3 year old Houdan. Pretty sure we both had this relatively common issue. I tried giving supportive care to my hen, like aspirin, tumeric, and oil in and around the vent, and also checked up her vent to see if there was anything I could remove or help with. I believe she was internally laying-- she never panted or showed stressed labour. All the eggs were wayyyy up in her oviduct, likely 4/5 at this point. I gave her magnesium spray around her vent to hopefully help her muscles to try to lay, but she never did.

Back
Top Bottom