Hen - Limping and odd excrement

Okay.. the thing is.. she won't starve to death but dehydration is deadly fast. Chickens' normal body temp is actually 104- 107. But I'm glad she isn't having issues maintaining her temp!

The lack of appetite could be relative A) to the amount of energy being used.. less movement requires less calories.. and bird eat to meet their energy need. B) STOP feeding treats.. IF she's hungry.. chicken food is the best choice.. to help her recover. YOU are POSSIBLY causing the weird droppings.. All urates pass in droppings causing the liquid. Oats have anti nutrients.. plus no added vitamins or minerals OR AMINO ACIDS that is in the chicken feed.. Why would she eat the less desirable normal stuff when yummies are available? Hi fat items provide more calorie content.. Cut out all treats.. get a weight on her

Is she still laying? Many ladies her age have decided to molt this year.. which often results in some slight withdrawal.. Are you feeling any pin feathers or any feathers missing that you can see which might indicate that?

IMO.. PDZ meant to dry things out is more likely to prevent coccidiosis than hay which allows the poo to sit on top and get mushed down and stays wet.. But again.. I don't see anything screaming coccidiosis.

Worms and BOSS are both very high fat.. calorie dense TREATS and not well rounded nutrition.. That dropping looks like she's taking in plenty of fluid and it isn't green with bile like a bird whose been without food and basically starving would be.

I would consider getting a fecal float.. to check YOUR internal parasite load (which includes coccidia count) and see if that has anything to do with it. The only ones that will EVER be seen in dropping are tape worms and large round worms species even then maybe only under heavy burden. All others will stay inside the intestines and only their microscopic oocysts (eggs) will pass. I don't personally JUST treat.. because, not all med treat all worms and I don't wish to treat what I don't have but need to ensure that if I do have something it gets treated CORRECTLY. So many things like wildlife load, soil type, weather pattern, stock density and more can effect internal and external parasite load. Getting them doesn't equal a bad keeper.. just one who faces natural issues.

Another reason I don't just treat is because despite seeing all the things folks claim are worms like yellow or frothy poo or muddy bumm.. my fecal floats don't agree.. and I haven't YET needed to treat my birds for worms.

Sometimes though.. perfect storms happen.. like molt weakening the system might allow something else to take foot hold... Just brainstorming and sharing things to consider.

If you are able to post any photo or video.. we might see some clues. And I think you correct to be at least on high alert for her if not concerned. Keep paying attention. But other than that, maybe just let her be.. If offering something.. a supplement like Poultry Nutri drench or Rooster Booster brand Poultry Cell (product) or Poultry Booster (product).

You roost height, really shouldn't be the issue.. but injuries can happen a number of ways.. even just stepping on a sharp rock that doesn't break the skin might bruise the bone under neath or ankle twisting like you said.

Hope we get some clues AND she recovers quickly! :fl

ETA: a scrambled egg is often palatable and easy to digest plus loaded with nutrients.. but 34% protein and 64% fat should be used ONLY on occasion as a boost or treat.
Glad to read there's some improvement. Sending positive waves :fl and hugs! :hugs
Thank you. My girls are very close to my heart so their best health is of utmost importance.

01434B7B-E474-4230-A3A5-B72297662C05.jpeg

View attachment 2448440
She is 4.8 lbs , temp in good range. Poop slightly better. Not as running.
Lovely lady! :love

It sounds like she may be continuing to recover. Your follow up description isn't throwing huge red flags, so just keep up the good eye!

Those being dual purpose ladies may do *best* with a little more protein than "layer" (amino acids), especially during molt (your orp). You *might* consider adding in an organic "starter" with oyster shell free choice on the side.. to raise the nutrients some.. or if you can find an organic flock raiser or grower that would work for you, might be a good choice. They will do fine if you continue to use layer. I'm only presenting possible options that I HAVE seen make along term difference in my flock.. maybe one day I can go organic also!

Hope your gals thrive, sounds like they're under good care! :fl

Lovely lady! :love

It sounds like she may be continuing to recover. Your follow up description isn't throwing huge red flags, so just keep up the good eye!

Those being dual purpose ladies may do *best* with a little more protein than "layer" (amino acids), especially during molt (your orp). You *might* consider adding in an organic "starter" with oyster shell free choice on the side.. to raise the nutrients some.. or if you can find an organic flock raiser or grower that would work for you, might be a good choice. They will do fine if you continue to use layer. I'm only presenting possible options that I HAVE seen make along term difference in my flock.. maybe one day I can go organic also!

Hope your gals thrive, sounds like they're under good care! :fl
Update:

Thank you. I try not to pick favorites but she is our most docile girl and is a human chicken. She is always by your side and loves to be held.

She is no longer limping. Her poop has improved. All the girls water has been treated with vitamins. And I’ve up’ed their protein this week. Ill definitely find some organic higher protein feed, as suggested.

I’ve been watching them like a hawk because it gotten pretty chilly (uncommon here) and I had no clue how the cold would affect an already compromised immune system if that is indeed the case.

She is definitely looking more like the girl she used to be!

Back
Top Bottom