JessieClementina

In the Brooder
May 10, 2020
Hi,
We have 2 sweet Plymouth Barred Rock hens Jessie and Clementina. They are 3 years old and are not laying anymore. After one of their sisters passed away they stopped laying. Also Jessie has had sticky poo that has a strong pungent odor. She has been on antibiotics three times for Clostridium. Last time after completing the third dose she was no longer positive for the infection. I am frustrated because I believe I need help balancing the flora in her small intestine. I make them kefir that they get every day, they only get fresh organic salad or blueberries, cucumbers or melons. They have organic food from Cluckin Good. Their yard, bedroom and run are cleaned every 2 days and we are putting apple cider vinegar in their water. We love our girls, we had trees, shrubs, a large patio umbrella and a lawn put in for them. I suspect Jessie has always had a delicate digestive system and it may be due to being vaccinated. Out of the 4 hens we bought who were 9 weeks old when we got them 2 died and we do not know why nor did our veterinarian. Growing up we had hearty hens who laid eggs for years and only one died from a tumor. Anywho, if anyone has any advice on how to strengthen sweet Jessie’s small intestine and help with her sticky, pungent poo we would be deeply grateful.
Thank you, Liz

You could try to fix the disbalance in their gut feeding them moro carrot soup for several days. I had very good success in doing so, it works even better than antibiotics and the chickens, dogs an even family loves it.

https://www.ency123.com/2015/09/natural-remedy-for-diarrhea-professor.html

Caution: Instead of 3 gr of salt I recommend to use only 1,5 gr for chickens as their kidneys are sensitive.

Additionally I would stop feeding salad, cucumbers and melon etc. which lead to diarrhea. Just feed them normal chicken food without any extras.

Hello, Liz, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Why is it that you think it is an imbalance of gut flora when you are offering everything under the sun to rebalance her? Could she just have some underlying reproductive issue? It's unfortunately not that uncommon.

You could try to fix the disbalance in their gut feeding them moro carrot soup for several days. I had very good success in doing so, it works even better than antibiotics and the chickens, dogs an even family loves it.

https://www.ency123.com/2015/09/natural-remedy-for-diarrhea-professor.html

Caution: Instead of 3 gr of salt I recommend to use only 1,5 gr for chickens as their kidneys are sensitive.

Additionally I would stop feeding salad, cucumbers and melon etc. which lead to diarrhea. Just feed them normal chicken food without any extras.
Thank you so much! I will do that❤️

Hi Liz,

how are they today, did you see any improvement after feeding the moro carrot soup?
I hope Jessie and Clementina are feeling better by now.

Back
Top Bottom