Hen limping occasionally

Jul 22, 2021
The last few months my dark brahma will start limping for seemingly no reason. The first time I noticed it I checked her over and found very early bumblefoot developing but they were just surface scabs with no hole or pus underneath and there was never any swelling but I cleaned them anyway and applied antibiotic ointment and wrapped them for a week as a precaution and the skin has been normal ever since but she continued to limp for a week and then was fine. Shortly after that she's started going through this cycle of limping for a few days, then fine for a few weeks, than limping again etc. I've checked her feet and legs but there is no clear injury or swelling. Aside from the periodic limping, she is healthy, no signs of illness, hasn't lost any weight, lays daily, and no changes in behavior or appetite. She is my only large breed, the rest are standard breeds so I'm wondering if larger breeds are more prone to leg joint injuries or issues that I'm not aware of? I originally wasn't concerned about it cause it's just a minor limp but because it keeps coming and going I'm worried there could be more going on that could become a serious issue and I'm not sure if I should do anything or continue to monitor.

Back
Top Bottom