1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen listless, panting, not moving

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sharonwolff, Apr 17, 2012.

1. sharonwolff

sharonwolff New Egg

Jul 2, 2011
    I found my 9 month old barred rock hen lying on the floor of the coop this morning. She was not moving, only her eyes were. I brought her in and she's by the heat lamp. She seems to be panting and moving her head a bit but not moving otherwise. If I stroke her, I can get her legs to move. I tried checking for egg binding since she hasn't been laying for the last week(as far as we know since she's free range but usually goes back to the coop to lay.
    Any help would be appreciated since we don't have any vets in the area that will deal with chickens.
    Sharon Wolff
    [email protected]

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Poor hen, I'm sorry she is not doing well. I am not sure what is going on but it sounds like it might be Marek's disease. Here is one link with info:http://shagbarkbantams.com/page9.htm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by