Hen losing weight rapidly

Nimby Chickens

Songster
9 Years
Oct 20, 2010
Central FL
Hi guys. I have a hatchery salmon Faverolle hen who has been dropping weight like crazy. She used to be a fatty. She does not seem to be interested in food and when I pick her up her crop is always empty. She is the only hen I have with any symptoms. I run a closed flock. She has not laid an egg since November.

I wormed her with worminator about 4 days ago just in case and dusted her real well with sevin dust. Made her scrambled eggs, which she didn't care for, and forced some nutri-drench in her.

She seems really thirsty and drinks all the time. She has no discharge of any kind. Clear eyes, nostrils, no coughing or breathing problems. Poo is normal, if a bit liquid, but i assume thats because of the crazy water drinking. I can't explain the rapid weight loss other than she just has no appetite and I don't understand why.

What am I missing here? Any advice would help. Thanks in advance!

You were right in worming her and powdering her. Mine sometimes have rapid weight loss and no appetite during a molt. If you have a closed flock, she may have something that you can't do anything about.

I know one of my first actions if I can't find reason is to give Penicillin injectable 0.5 ml for 5 days. You may have to separate her so you can monitor her intake. I would try anything she may eat, mine are partial to chicken feed mush, or French toast-extra mushy.

You were right in worming her and powdering her.  Mine sometimes have rapid weight loss and no appetite during a molt.  If you have a closed flock, she may have something that you can't do anything about.

I know one of my first actions if I can't find reason is to give Penicillin injectable 0.5 ml for 5 days.  You may have to separate her so you can monitor her intake.  I would try anything she may eat, mine are partial to chicken feed mush, or French toast-extra mushy.

She is molting! Randomly, too. It's only her, and she is dropping feathers like mad. Looks like a pillow exploded in my yard.

I will try the sloppy French toast!

Also I do have penicillin but I do not have the correct syringe needles for injecting chickens. Can you give me a gauge/size you use?

I think it has to be just the molt. Sometimes mine have looked like death warmed over. They lose their appetite. I would hold off on the meds because there is good reason for the weight loss.

I do use a 23 gauge, and draw about 0.2 of sterile water in with the pen so it's think enough to use that gauge with.

Oh, I see you're in Florida too. Some one of mine is always molting. I can't keep up with it. When it's over, they eat like pigs.

She has stopped molting and her feathers are growing back, but she is still skinny and has no appetite. She has lost more weight. Her keel bone is like a blade. I think I am going to have to tube feed her. She still drinks water like crazy too. I don't know what's wrong with her. :(

Honestly, It sounds like you are doing all you can. The moult can be extreemly hard on chickens and the new feathers growing in can be painful resulting in lack of appetite and extreme weight loss. I hope your girl pulls through.

So my hen seems to have pulled through - still skinny but gaining weight and actually interested in food. I don't think she would have made it without the tube feeding to get her through the worst part, but it thankfully seems to be over!

Back
Top Bottom