Hen Lost weight and lethargic?

Cluck17

Songster
Jun 24, 2018
Pennsylvania
Hello everyone. I have a splash ameraucana that is acting strange. She just stands outside and does nothing, and either she has her neck tucked into her or her head in her feathers. She is very lightweight but she has always been light. This has been going on for a bout a month. I think it may also be the cold weather, and she’s just trying to stay warm, but she is able to go into her coop, but she’d rather stay outside. I think I’ve seen her eat. She is also not roosting, but I put her up with the others. She’s not getting pecked so I don’t know what’s going on. Can anyone help me? She acts normalish when I go up to her but like in 5 min she goes back to being lethargic. Thanks

Attachments

• 2CE42FC5-793D-438B-B7A3-786938FB20BB.png
    2CE42FC5-793D-438B-B7A3-786938FB20BB.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 1
  • AD6779D2-60AA-4AD8-8114-12448FA74C8D.jpeg
    AD6779D2-60AA-4AD8-8114-12448FA74C8D.jpeg
    594.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 4BA158C5-BCCA-4711-AB63-DCEBE3D97EDB.jpeg
    4BA158C5-BCCA-4711-AB63-DCEBE3D97EDB.jpeg
    415.7 KB · Views: 1
When's the last time she laid an egg?

I would check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight. Her stance reminds me of hens that are having reproductive issues. Cancer, Peritonitis, etc. Feel her abdomen below her vent between her legs for any bloat or feeling of fluid.

Get a good look at her poop.

If she's having repro issues, then sometimes all you can do is offer supportive care. Make sure she's eating well. Direct dose with vitamins a couple of times a week. Consider getting a fecal float or de-worm her. Check her well for lice/mites and monitor her daily.

When's the last time she laid an egg?

I would check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight. Her stance reminds me of hens that are having reproductive issues. Cancer, Peritonitis, etc. Feel her abdomen below her vent between her legs for any bloat or feeling of fluid.

Get a good look at her poop.

If she's having repro issues, then sometimes all you can do is offer supportive care. Make sure she's eating well. Direct dose with vitamins a couple of times a week. Consider getting a fecal float or de-worm her. Check her well for lice/mites and monitor her daily.
It’s Been quite a while since she laid an egg. Maybe like 7-8 months. She’s was broody for a couple of those months. I checked her crop and it felt like it wasn’t there or it was very empty. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom