Hen low weight - LOTS of watery discharge from mouth and also EYES

Peaches

Chirping
14 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Stanwood, Wa.
Coryza maybe? Ideas? I just realized she was away from the others - looking not good and picked her up and virtually GOT SOAKED with the liquid from her moutrh! I have her now in a crate with Avia charge water and some goodies. Should I just start antibiotic or what. What causes these symptoms?

A chicken with coryza will have the characteristic sticky, bad-smelling discharge. Other symptoms are sneezing, clogged nostrils and sinuses and swelling of the face and wattles.

Based on your information, it doesn't sound as your chicken has coryza. Maybe an impacted crop? I hope somebody else comes along with some info for you.
Stephanie

Last edited:
thanks - no smell that I can tell - also I had already gone to site referenced to check symptoms, but nothing fit exactly but thank you for the link.

We had a hen recently exactly that way. She seemed fine, then, suddenly, she started acting sick; wouldn't eat; we finally caught her and when I picked her up I was appalled at how much weight she'd lost, and watery stuff just poured from her nose. I mean, like you said, it just about soaked me. A day or two before we had another hen die without any apparent symptoms except SBS for a day or two. Don't know if the two conditions were related, but we put Snowflake (with the watery discharge) in our hospital pen, and ordered her some Tylan, but she died next day. I'm pretty sure it wasn't impacted crop. Someone suggested MG/MS; someone else suggested maybe Coryza...which, by the way, can have lots of water nasal discharge...whatever it was, we disinfected everything we could with Oxine, and were blessed with a spell of very hot, sunny, dry weather. Two weeks later now, and no other sick birds...still keeping our fingers crossed. I'd try some injectable Tylan if I were you, and order some water soluble for the others, in case whatever it is spreads.

Thanks for the info. She was dead by this afternoon. I hope everyone else doesn't get something. HOw did you disinfect w/ Oxine? I just did a COMPLETE coop clean down to the last bit of dust last week. where is oxine ordered or found?

I'm so sorry about your chicken, I wish I could have helped you out.
You can buy oxine at First State Vet Supply. You can use a garden sprayer to spray the solution.
oxine

Peaches, the nice thing about Oxine is that it is so much more powerful than bleach..we just disinfected the waterers and feeders and sprayed the pen she used with an Oxine/water solution...it you get it from 1st State he has directions how to mix the solution...don't follow the ones on the bottle. We couldn't really disinfect the way we would like to have, because our chickens are free range and our barn is huge and cluttered and they roost in the rafters. But we opened the barn up to as much as possible to the sun, dry air and wind...this seemed to help. You can also mist the chickens themselves with the Oxine solution, and put 7-15 drops per gallon in their drinking water to disiinfect the water itself. We also dewormed all our birds with a broad-spectrum dewormer, which they were due for anyway, and have been giving them a bit of Turmeric (an immune system enhancer) in their food every other day. I think whatever this is is something probably carried by migrating wild birds...I'm hoping we dodged a bullet, and maybe you will, too. I'm sorry about your hen.

Back
Top Bottom