Hen making a strange noise!

@Canine and Co , It could be IB, especially if you don’t see any bubbles or foam in the eye, eye swelling or worsening conditions. If you see eye bubbles or facial swelling, it might be mycoplasma or MG. MG can be treated with certain antibiotics, but IB will not respond. Denagard is one that you can get online for MG. It is possible that the new hens might have been carriers, but as I said before, if it is IB, I would wait a year after all chickens get over it to add any new birds to the flock. I probably would not isolate as long as they are doing okay, since you probably want them to all get over it sooner than later. With carriers in the flock, if you separate them, they will just get it later.

My hen got it around set and around january i didnt see that she was sick and stop it for 2 months and she got it again, her eyes are fine she is laying

@Eggcessive thank you for your advice - that is really helpful! It's been about 4 weeks now and she is no worse/no better! The young hens came after I initially heard her sneeze so she has probably picked it up from wild birds. There are no other symptoms so I will keep an eye on everyone. Thank you again - I appreciate it.

Well, hopefully, she will get better soon. Did any others get the sneezing?

Update:- Since this post my white hen has stopped sneezing (probably a couple of weeks ago). However today one of the younger hens has started to make a similar noise - occasionally - not often - but I recognise the sign. I am giving her Poultry Nutri drops for three days (a pick me up full of vitamins). I guess it's to be expected - as you said if my older white hen is a carrier ....

Quick question for you - one of my other new hens has coccidiosis - she is currently separated and has been on Coxoid for 7 days, i'm now giving her the same Nutri drops for three days to help build her up. Do you think she would struggle with IB if she caught it now or would she be better staying away from them? x

Usually with IB, it spreads throughout the flock eventually. The chickens remain carriers for 5 months up to a year. It can complicate pecking orders and be hard to reintegrate chickens when they are removed from the flock. I usually leave my chickens all together. We had IB in the flock once, and it kept spreading to new birds, until I stopped adding or hatching birds for a year. It can be hard to tell respiratory diseases apart with just symptoms, and testing is the best way to know what your flock is dealing with.

Usually with IB, it spreads throughout the flock eventually. The chickens remain carriers for 5 months up to a year. It can complicate pecking orders and be hard to reintegrate chickens when they are removed from the flock. I usually leave my chickens all together. We had IB in the flock once, and it kept spreading to new birds, until I stopped adding or hatching birds for a year. It can be hard to tell respiratory diseases apart with just symptoms, and testing is the best way to know what your flock is dealing with.

Thank you as always. Quick question - (excuse me if this is a stupid question) - how do you test for this type of problem?

The original hen has started to make the loud sneezing noise again. If it is IB and it is expected to go through the flock but not be life threatening- then I can cope with that (she says!!). Has anything you’ve given helped them get over it quickly such as poultry vitamins in their water etc?

Keep safe.

Back
Top Bottom