Hen making a weeping sound

Sinmir

Hatching
May 31, 2023
This just started today. The hen is about 3 years old. Cross Silver Laced Wyandott.
She's making a kind of weeping sound, and ocassionally makes a noise like a seagull.
I went out, she was having a dustbath making the seagull noise, then stopped but constantly makes a weeping noise.
She is a mother hen, her chickens are about 5 weeks old, today was the first time I've seen her without them. She wasn't taken away from them by a human, she came round on her own and was away from them for a while today. I moved her back to where her chickens are, they are all still fine. She seems to still be weeping though.

Do you think you could upload a video somewhere and then share the link here? That would help a bunch if we could see it.

Hey, I uploaded
She made the sound at about 33 seconds. And a few more times a bit quieter. Never got a chance to record the seagull like noises.
Earlier that day she had been making it almost constantly. I never heard her making it today. Hoping she's back to normal. I think based on this thread I have my answer.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-breathing-whats-the-matter-with-her.1567124/
A bit of food caught in the throat that has now cleared. It hadn't crossed my mind to mention in my first post but that day we'd introduced growers pellets to her and her chickens. They'd been eating chick crumbs before. Maybe she ate the growers pellets to fast.

That is great news. It seems like it is a pretty common occurrence actually, because I see it a lot on here.

If you ever have issues like that in the future you can mix 1:2 water to grower pellets and give them 10 minutes to soften them, but I'll bet you won't see it again.

So glad she is feeling better.

Thanks, I have a lot of hens but that particular hen is quite special to me. At a few days old she was the sole survivor of a fox attack on the croft along the road from us. They gave her to us, We raised her in the house for the first few weeks, then when she was ready to go out we put her with two chicks that were just a little bit older than her, then later all three joined the main flock.
Now 3 years later she's raising her own chicks. I was a bit worried about the weeping noise she was making. I've been out today to see her, she wasn't making it. Hopefully now everything is back to normal.

Back
Top Bottom