Hen making weird cough/sneeze sound?

FC16

Songster
Jun 1, 2021
Cambridgeshire, UK 🇬🇧
For a while my hen has been making this strange noise constantly, it’s hard to even describe it’s like a combination of a sneeze, cough and a hiccup, it seems to be really bothering her.
Sometimes she lets out a massive screaming sound almost like she’s clearing her throat.
She eats/drinks normally and forages throughout the day like usual.
I’ve been looking everywhere online but can’t find an exact fit for what she might have and really want to resolve it.
I’m not sure how to add a video onto here but was wondering if anyone has had anything similar

For a while my hen has been making this strange noise constantly, it’s hard to even describe it’s like a combination of a sneeze, cough and a hiccup, it seems to be really bothering her.
Sometimes she lets out a massive screaming sound almost like she’s clearing her throat.
I’ve been looking everywhere online but can’t find an exact fit for what she might have and really want to resolve it.
I’m not sure how to add a video onto here but was wondering if anyone has had anything similar
Forgot to add as well her usual noises sound a lot deeper

Chickens do sneeze, snick, or chirp. That is what it sounds like. They do it sometimes during eating, or it is dusty. If it happens every few minutes when they are not eating, I would suspect a respiratory disease such as infectious bronchitis virus. If you can upload a short video of this sound, and post it to YouTube or a similar service, we could help more.

@FC16 - one of my pullets has been doing this for 10 days. Was your girl barely eating as well? We saw an avian vet who couldn't figure it out.
The strange this is she was eating and drinking like normal, she’s always been one of the greediest out them all and definitely continued that🤣
So yeah it was really confusing I still never found an answer as to what it was but she’s stopped now and is completely normal.
Hope your hen gets better and do let me know if you find out what it is 🙂

Get some Warm water add few drops of Fresh Ginger peice and give this water to your coughing hen it will clear it up in few hours
You can give this once a month in Cold weather days
Ginger is amazing for cough and infections of the throat for all I've personally use this home remedy in winter and coughing is not actually a issue unless u see special classic symptoms of CRD like runny nose eye bubbles
In my experience coughing and respiratory problems rise with Dust too chickens love preens and accidentally they ate their Dander that sticks in their throat resulting coughing warm water and ginger juice helps alot

Back
Top Bottom