Hen making weird noise while trying to lay

ChickenTenderz

Chirping
Mar 21, 2023
Just noticed my hen Penny (RIR) making a weird noise while trying to lay. It sounds like she's straining to get the egg out ...Is she okay?

Probably OK.
Did she know you were watching?
Yes, my daughter went to collect the eggs and took three from underneath her (we have 4 that lay and she's usually the last) and she pecked her hand. She called me at work to tell me about it and that she was making weird sounds. She sent me video of the sound ds but I'm having trouble getting it to upload.

Yes, my daughter went to collect the eggs and took three from underneath her (we have 4 that lay and she's usually the last) and she pecked her hand. She called me at work to tell me about it and that she was making weird sounds. She sent me video of the sound ds but I'm having trouble getting it to upload.
Well, yes they will vocalize when an egg is taken out form under them in the nest,
best to wait until end of day to gather eggs.

Videos must be uploaded to youtube, or similar platform, then a link pasted here

Well, yes they will vocalize when an egg is taken out form under them in the nest,
best to wait until end of day to gather eggs.

Videos must be uploaded to youtube, or similar platform, then a link pasted here
Well, we have a hen that lays very thin shelled eggs and it often gets crushed leaving a huge mess in the nestingbox and even has caused a rash on the hen that sits on it to lay her egg. I've been giving calcium tablets and we're having improvement but getting it before it is crushed is the best solution right now. My daughter just checked and screaming Penny has left the box but no egg. I double checked and my daughter said she was screaming before she opened the coop door to collect the eggs.

Last edited:
Well, we have a hen that lays very thin shelled eggs and it often gets crushed leaving a huge mess in the nestingbox and even has caused a rash on the hen that sits on it to lay her egg. I've been giving calcium tablets and we're having improvement but getting it before it is crushed is the best solution right now. My daughter just checked and screaming Penny has left the box but no egg. I double checked and my daughter said she was screaming before she opened the coop door to collect the eggs.
Understood, BTDT.
I wouldn't worry much about the squawking, just do what you've got to do

She left the nest later with no egg laid. She isn't the one laying the softegg. She stays with everyone else and only goes in the box to lay.
But I have 4 pullets that are 10 weeks old in the coop with them, so they are getting chick food instead of layer pellets. I am providing crushed egg shells and oyster shells free choice AND all 4 laying hens get a calcium tablet everyday (mostly for the softshell egg layer) I have once or twice found 2 soft eggs instead of 1 and also noticed decline in egg numbers since the pullets moved in so I decided all the laying hens get a tablet...one of my girls tales it voluntarily!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom