hen mating with hen

mama dixie

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 11, 2011
I went to the coop to collect any stray eggs and make sure they had water this evening and I saw the weirdest thing. we have some hens that have been raised together since they were chicks they are about 4 years old one is a Americana and one is a road island red. at first thought the Americana was picking on the road island red then I saw she was mating with her. now joke she mounted her and was mating with her, or trying shall we say. what the heck. I pulled the Americana off and she seamed OK then looked at the rhode island red and she seems fine as well,

why were they doing this. I have never seen anything like this before. I have seen them do the pecking order thing but this was not that it was truly mating. I have gotten eggs from both of them so I am very confused. I know the world is changing but I just never thought I would see this in my hens...

yoiu think thats weird i had my Cream Legbar Roo Mount and successfully mate my Black Copper Marans Roo and they are both Roos

the Marans submitted to the Legbar and the Legbar did his thing. Not that anything will happen but it is real weird

the Hens on your case i think is the same as when hens crow

this is all down to lack of male presence that a hen will take on that roo dominent role

i have a hen that is top dog in the coop and she did some serious damage to my Legbar Roo almost lost both his eyes and even now he has scabs on his comb from all the pecking

now after 2 weeks he is top dog of the coop but gives her a wide bearth and still has not mated her although he has mated all the other hens in the flock

Not sure how common it is in chickens but all of my waterfowl mate each other for dominance on a daily basis.

it is so odd that these hens are mating each other. they have been best buds for so long they go and take there dust bath together and eat together and all that good stuff. I was just so surprised. when I pulled the Americana off she was so upset she just acted like I had broke her hart. we do have a bared rock that is the top hen, she was right there with them when this was goning on and she will beat the tar out of any hen who challenges her but these two are usually just kinda lazy together and such. they have both stoped laying eggs and we have way to many roo's in our coop and we are trying to decided which to keep so all I could think is oh no my Americana is turning to a roo.

my hen is mating with the others and i now its for the pecking order but im getting fertile eggs and shes been laying for 3 years and even tryed hatching chicks so i now shes a hen shes still laying too but how am i getting fertile eggs its been at least 4 or 3 months seens i had rooster!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom