Hen may have injested Preen (Weed Killer)

Duke6017

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 13, 2013
Preen is a weed killer we use in the front yard. I don't use it anywhere near the chickens or in the chickens ranging area. However, I accidentally left a gate open yesterday and one of my hens ventured into uncharted territory. She was only in the front of the house for maybe 10 minutes, and most of that time was spent in a garden (I could see all of her scratching). The lawn had preen spread about a week and a half ago. Preen is a granular weed killer that gets thrown from a spreader. As soon as I realized she was out I ran her back to the "safe" zone and she went about her business. This was at 1:30 pm yesterday (approximately 18 hrs ago) and she seems fine. Eating, drinking, walking around, doing normal chicken stuff. She seems just fine. My question is does anyone think I should throw out any eggs for a certain number of days? I cant say for certain that she did eat any, but the fact that she was foraging in an area where I know there was some thrown has me concerned.

Because of the time between her grand adventure & the application there is probably no harm done, though I would throw away any eggs for a week to be on the safe side.

Back
Top Bottom