Hen MIA with no sign of attack. Any hope for return?

ImNotYogi

Songster
5 Years
Dec 8, 2014
Eastern NC
I have an egger that's been missing for 3 weeks this past Wednesday. I've heard the stories of hens disappearing for around this same length of time only to come back with some chicks. Since feathers weren't all over the yard and there has been no predator sighting or attack since she's vanished I've been hoping she went off to hatch some eggs. I know next to nothing about hatching eggs or how mama hens act in the days after her eggs hatch. Do they hang around the nest for a few days before venturing further out? And returning to the coop? When should I start thinking "okay, she should have been back by now if she went to hatch eggs"? Assuming nothing got her if this is what happened. Thanks.

Generally when hens have hidden nests they return to the coop daily for feed and water. Hopefully she will return with a brood of chicks.

Yeah, I've thought about that. I also have a barnevelder that has gone broody and ventures out once a day. We'll see though I guess. It's not unheard of but the likelihood is dwindling.

I have had one, who I was positive that something got, show up with chicks one time years ago! so it can happen, but I will also tell you honestly I have had birds just disappear when something got them. Sometimes there was feathers, sometimes nothing.

The Egger is still missing so she's presumed dead at this point. It'll be 5 weeks this Wednesday. But, I had a barnevelder that went broody shortly after the egger left. I gave her a few egger and legbar eggs just to see if she'd stick with it. I went to plant a tree in the run today and saw her sitting behind it. The nest she was sitting on was underneath the nesting boxes inside the coop. So I figured she was just out for her daily walk or something. Then I came out from behind a corner and saw a baby chick run underneath the coop. So I have no idea how that happened unless she managed to hatch an egg out in less than two weeks. It's a cute little thing. Don;t know if or when others will come.

Back
Top Bottom