Hen Missing without Trace...

I agree that fox-which have now invaded the suburbs for sure-take the whole bird. Driving up the lane around 6 one morning I encountered a fox coming up the lane at me with my free range Rooster eddie in his mouth. He did drop it as I approached but the body was headless. I left it there and later it was gone. No doubt picked back up by the fox when I left the area. If I had not chanced to come earlier than usual I also would have had a rooster gone without a trace.
I have had birds taken from the barn-where we have had coons periodically ransacking the place-those birds were left close by with only the heads and crop area missing. We have trapped four coons in the barn. Several of these birds were taken during the day. The coons leave their handprints in the cat bowl.

You can have a fox and not know it. They can be hiding and you would walk right by one and not know they are there. I have lived in my area for 17 years and never saw a fox until my neighbor got chickens. They wiped him out. During the day. So I vote with everyone else and say fox also. I would suggest you fort knox your coop some more. I bet once you start looking closely you will find areas that something could of slipped in, climbed in, or dug under and you just have missed it. I sure hope you dont lose anymore. Its very frustrating and upsetting.

Rammy

You mentioned that you had a roo die last time you were gone. What did he die of? How long ago was that, because if something got a taste from taking his body then they may be coming back and got another meal.

Were you using the same pet-sitter? Two dead/missing birds, two consecutive trips with same pet sitter I would be questioning that.

For the second time, it was TWO DIFFERENT PET SITTERS, and each was a wonderful girl...and did a wonderful job. The first rooster, Bato, died of some unknown illness in fact there's a thread I had posted awhile ago following it. He died from the illness, was set accidentally outside, and was gone without a trace the next morning as if he evaporated.

I am sooooo paranoid about my birds, believe me. I have checked a thousand times over for crevices and holes....I close their doggy door right as they go to bed, and the coop and roof-ed run are so protected that I'm sure only rats, ground squirrels, wild songbirds, and other squirrels can fit in....unless this invisible fox can fit between some 3x2 i think it is bars....Ill take some pics to show you how flippin paranoid I am. I freaked out when my peacock was pulled apart by a coon, that scarred my life forever. I made my dad really fortify it.....lots of skunks down there but i dont think it was them since we have the kind that cant climb: the striped skunk...they are sooo dumb...dumbest animals alive, im two feet away and they mossey on past like nothings wrong....

Also, I mentioned the chicks in my last posts, PLEASE READ THEM they have bonus info :]

Back
Top Bottom