Hen mounting another hen

MotherofHens5819

In the Brooder
Jun 1, 2023
Hello I just watched one of our hens mounts another of our hens. She is more aggressive than I am comfortable with and wanted to know if this is normal behavior. I separated her from the flock for the moment so she can’t get to anyone, she is the dominant for sure but I was not prepared to see her mount another hen and basically play act the mating dance.

Should I leave things be or should I be concerned she may harm the other chickens?

A hen mounting another female is caused by the dominant hen wanting to, well, show her dominance. This is more likely to happen in a flock that has no rooster, as the head hen will often take the role—crowing, mounting and attacking humans can take place afterward. Your dominant hen is doing no harm to the other hens by mounting them as long as she is not being too aggressive and injuring them, but you would notice that if there was blood or any other signs of an injury.

This is a natural dominance behavior, but it can escalate. Watch carefully , if she is not pecking hard and drawing blood, you can let it play out. I have a BR that was doing that to my old hen and hurting her. I jailed the BR within sight of the rest, it took a couple of weeks, but they get along well now.

Alright well I saw it happen then sort of
Dominated her by holding her down a moment then jailed her for some time before releasing her sgain. We will keep
An eye that she isn’t drawing blood but man she is a mini biatch not gonna lie!!

Back
Top Bottom