Hen mouth breathing not walking around

Sherri1990

Songster
Jun 4, 2020
My 27 week old buff Orpington who is normally very busy stayed on the roost this morning. I went out to get her and noticed she was breathing through her mouth. She was not interested in her scratch at all. She was walking very slow. I brought her in and put her in the dog kennel and gave her boiled egg with cipro and she ate a little of her layer mash. I brought her back out to see if she would perk up but she just stood there with her eyes closed. She had pooped once. It looked normal and her crop feels normal. We did have a big change in the weather (South Carolina) but the have a lot of ventilation in the coop with no draft. I have looked her over and I see no visible injuries. She is just tired and breathing through her mouth..... any ideas?

My 27 week old buff Orpington who is normally very busy stayed on the roost this morning. I went out to get her and noticed she was breathing through her mouth. She was not interested in her scratch at all. She was walking very slow. I brought her in and put her in the dog kennel and gave her boiled egg with cipro and she ate a little of her layer mash. I brought her back out to see if she would perk up but she just stood there with her eyes closed. She had pooped once. It looked normal and her crop feels normal. We did have a big change in the weather (South Carolina) but the have a lot of ventilation in the coop with no draft. I have looked her over and I see no visible injuries. She is just tired and breathing through her mouth..... any ideas?

Is the back of her neck arched, like a candy cane? I'd try giving her more water too.
No in fact every time I think she is smart and ok then take her outside she just stands still with her eyes closed. I bring her in and she gets upset . It’s like she wants to be out side with the flock but then all of a sudden she acts sick

Has your pullet started laying yet?
If not, she may be struggling to pass a shell-less egg. Try giving her a human calcium citrate tablet. I would also crate her and keep her in a warm, quiet location with food and water and monitor her. If she is that upset and being taken from the flock, crate her in the coop so they are still nearby.

No in fact every time I think she is smart and ok then take her outside she just stands still with her eyes closed. I bring her in and she gets upset . It’s like she wants to be out side with the flock but then all of a sudden she acts sick
Her feathers aren't ruffled or anything? I know that chickens are prey animals so when they are sick they try to hide it. One of the ways is closing their eyes. If she is acting unlike her normal self and closing her eyes, I would call the vet. I'm a worry wart though. I'd keep trying to give her water maybe a little splash of apple cider vinegar or vetrx if you have any and just keep a close eye on her. I'm by no means a vet, this is just what I would do.

Her feathers aren't ruffled or anything? I know that chickens are prey animals so when they are sick they try to hide it. One of the ways is closing their eyes. If she is acting unlike her normal self and closing her eyes, I would call the vet. I'm a worry wart though. I'd keep trying to give her water maybe a little splash of apple cider vinegar or vetrx if you have any and just keep a close eye on her. I'm by no means a vet, this is just what I would do.
I am leaning on the idea it’s a soft egg. I gave her a little over half of a calcium pill. I had to mix it with an egg to get her to eat it. She has only had one additional poop and it was clear with white. She is just laying down outside. She doesn’t want to be inside. The calcium I gave her I took a picture of.

Attachments

• 62C1D3C8-8C75-438C-A6D9-07C8BEBA4F6C.jpeg
    62C1D3C8-8C75-438C-A6D9-07C8BEBA4F6C.jpeg
    426.2 KB · Views: 3
I am leaning on the idea it’s a soft egg. I gave her a little over half of a calcium pill. I had to mix it with an egg to get her to eat it. She has only had one additional poop and it was clear with white. She is just laying down outside. She doesn’t want to be inside. The calcium I gave her I took a picture of.
She has been if laying for six weeks almost every day.

Back
Top Bottom