Hen no longer roosting?

goodwiab

Chirping
Apr 4, 2020
Hello,

I have a 9 month old ISA brown who recently stopped roosting with her flock mates. She still lays daily, is perfectly healthy, jumps/flies to to equidistant perches as the roosting bars daily, and seemingly gets along/cuddles with others. She is eating and drinking fine. She shares her coop with two leghorns and two japanese bantams. I've attached pictures; the two bantams used to sleep together on the wall roost up top (not intended for a roost but try telling them that ;)) and very recently, the one bantam gets in the other actual (higher) roost early. Since then, the ISA has a hard time getting up there since she is last in, and chooses to sleep on the ground (see pics). I assure you she is not ill; we've moved her several times to the roost with everyone before bed and she will remain there overnight but still won't get up by herself the next day.

My questions are: should I get a ramp to the roost? Or should I just leave her be? I'm afraid she can't get up there bc of room, even though there is a whole other roost bar behind the one they all get on. She makes me so very sad seeing her by herself when I know she's healthy.

Sorry for the long post and thank you for any and all advice/help! I just love them all so much and want them to snuggle as it gets colder haha

Attachments

• 1610923444707.jpg
    1610923444707.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 18
  • 1611014125344.jpg
    1611014125344.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 15
Hello,

I have a 9 month old ISA brown who recently stopped roosting with her flock mates. She still lays daily, is perfectly healthy, jumps/flies to to equidistant perches as the roosting bars daily, and seemingly gets along/cuddles with others. She is eating and drinking fine. She shares her coop with two leghorns and two japanese bantams. I've attached pictures; the two bantams used to sleep together on the wall roost up top (not intended for a roost but try telling them that ;)) and very recently, the one bantam gets in the other actual (higher) roost early. Since then, the ISA has a hard time getting up there since she is last in, and chooses to sleep on the ground (see pics). I assure you she is not ill; we've moved her several times to the roost with everyone before bed and she will remain there overnight but still won't get up by herself the next day.

My questions are: should I get a ramp to the roost? Or should I just leave her be? I'm afraid she can't get up there bc of room, even though there is a whole other roost bar behind the one they all get on. She makes me so very sad seeing her by herself when I know she's healthy.

Sorry for the long post and thank you for any and all advice/help! I just love them all so much and want them to snuggle as it gets colder haha
Is she low on the totem pole? There isn't a lot of space up there and I am wondering if she is bullied off of the roost. ISA browns aren't known to go broody, but is she staying in her nest all day as well as night?

I'm afraid she is perhaps lowest, which does shock me as I believe this may have been a recent development. Where she is sleeping is not a nest; she does not remain there except at night. Would a ramp to either roost help her at least get to a roost? IDK if I can manage it but I'll sure try if it helps.

I'm afraid she is perhaps lowest, which does shock me as I believe this may have been a recent development. Where she is sleeping is not a nest; she does not remain there except at night. Would a ramp to either roost help her at least get to a roost? IDK if I can manage it but I'll sure try if it helps.
It is sad to realize that our friendly little babies are mean to each other :( While this may not be the case here, it is entirely possible. Do they let her eat with them or chase her away?

If you look at your roosts, she would have to be touching the others to roost and they may not be allowing that - or she is too timid post-argument to take the chance. It may be easier for her to avoid conflict and sleep on the floor.

I think you may be able to add a roost perpendicular to the current one. Sitting on the current roost and screwed in at the wall opposite the camera's position. If I am seeing this correctly.

Hello,

Check her feet over for bumble foot, ect.

That's what boggles my mind! They let her eat/drink hang out with her fine. But yes, we can try another roost. Sadly and crazily? I think the bantam (I know it is) is the bully. But the ISA is a bit timid overall so it makes sense.

The bantams are one month older- around 10 months. The leghorns and ISA are around 9.

The bantams are one month older- around 10 months. The leghorns and ISA are around 9.
Oh yeah. I am more confident now that it's bullying. This is the time for it. Give her a roost and special attention when you can. She's the bottom girl. My husband and I will even go so far as to separate and feed our dumb little buff orpington who is the bottom here. I would feel 100% bad for my bottom buff orp, but she is a chick attacker, so that will always remain on my mind :mad:

See how the additional roost pans out and let me know!

Back
Top Bottom